Teaming two NICs as one

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mcpp66, Jun 18, 2007.

1. mcpp66

mcpp66 Private E-2

Hello. I wasn't sure if this question should go under hardware or software so if I put it in the wrong category, sorry. Anyhow, what I want to be able to do is to team two different NICs from two different vendors as one. Is this possible? HP makes this possible on their servers by including software, but both NICs are from the same vendor. Sorry for not providing more information as the name brand of the NICs, but I don't know that yet (I haven't bought them). Anyhow, if anyone knows of any way to team two different NICs together let me know please. Thanks.

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

If you haven't bought them why add an extra layer of complexity by buying different brands?
    Post sufficient details to allow comment. (OS, network software/type used etc).

3. mcpp66

mcpp66 Private E-2

I don't see that I'm adding a level of complexity...........I'm just inquiring to see if anyone knows if what I want to do can be done. I can't give specifics because I'm still in the process of designing the system I want. Either it's possible or not. That's all I want to know.

4. mcpp66

mcpp66 Private E-2

Sorry, I didn't fully read the last reply. I don't want to buy two different brands, it's just that one of the NICs is onboard and I don't want to take up both of my PCI slots just to have the same NICs.

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

You can certainly configure more than one NIC (of different flavours) with any version of windows since 95.

you point about using the onboard nic is valid.

However your question is too open ended to answer.
    If your purpose is to increase throughput it will be self defeating unless you do the same at both ends. You would be better served with a faster network.
    If you are talking of some sort of subnet bridge......
    If one pc has a server version of Windows........

I can't help without more detail.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds