Router doesn't connect to the internet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gamosa, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Gamosa

Gamosa Private E-2

I was away this past week (and took my laptop with me) and when I returned home and booted everything up as I normally would I could not establish an internet connection. Turns out we had a power failure when I was away so I had to reset the internet modem and my wireless router. fyi - I always use the wireless network to connect to the internet and I never plug the ethernet cord into my laptop. Anyhow, after I went through my typical "how to fix it" list I still could not connect to the internet. When I try to "view available wireless networks", the one I created doesn't come up. I did remove the ethernet cable from the router and plugged it into the laptop and everything works, so no problem with the internet connection.

Is it possible my router fried during the power outage? Why isn't my wireless network coming up in Network Places?

Would the fact that I used a hotel's internet service have anything to do with the problem? I've used hotel services before without any issues, but I guess you never know.

I would appreciate any help, thanks

2. Sharagoz

Sharagoz Private First Class

Are you sure this issue is not related to your computer? Have you been on other WLANs lately?

What's the brand and model of the router?
    Some routers does not have WLAN enabled by default so you may have to enable it again after the reset. Most routers have a lamp indicating whether or not WLAN is enabled. Is yours on?

3. Gamosa

Gamosa Private E-2

When I was on vacation this week I did connect to the hotel's internet service (I plugged the ethernet cable into my laptop and was able to access the web no problem).

I have a D-Link WBR-2310 router.

The WLan light is the only one that doesn't come on and I can;t figure out what I'm doing wrong. Is there a way to reset it?

4. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

there is usually a master reset on your router however it is going to erase all your settings and take it back to factory spec hold on and try a few more diagnostics before you goto that point. by the way if all else fails look on the back of your router there should be a pin size hole. that will be the master reset.

5. Gamosa

Gamosa Private E-2

I already reset the router hoping that would help but it didn't so I went in search of online help. Help! Now what?

6. Sharagoz

Ok, if the WLAN light isnt on then you'll have to find a way to switch on the WLAN.
    Some routers have a physical button for this, but I reckon you'd have noticed that.

Here's what I suggest you do:
    Connect to the router with cable.
    Open a web browser and go to this address: http://192.168.0.1/
    This should take you to the configuration interface. If it does not, let me know.
    To get access you need to log in.
    By default the username is "Admin" and the password is blank.
    Have a look around in the settings and see if there's an option like "Enable Wireless".

7. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

when you get into your router, goto your wireless settings, then click on setup and just like Sharagoz said click on enable wireless, if this doesn't work maybe someone else has a better idea.

8. Gamosa

Gamosa Private E-2

Something is not working. I had a cable from the modem to the router (WAN outlet) and then I just connected another from my laptop to LAN1 to gain access to the link you provided - get error message on webpage saying I am not connected to the internet.

Just to test, I then revert back to having the modem connected directly to my laptop, try website again, no luck, but I guess that's because there is no connection to the router.

How should my cables be connected between the modem, router and my laptop so I can at least try your suggestion?

9. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

the correct connection should be modem, to router, router to laptop.

10. Sharagoz

On the router there's a port labeled WAN or Internet. The cable from the modem goes here.
    The cable from the PC goes into one of the ports on the router labeled Lan1, Lan2, etc.

The address I gave you might be wrong, but make sure you get the cables straight first so that you're connect to the internet by cable.

11. Gamosa

Gamosa Private E-2

I have tried connecting as you suggested, but then when I try to access the web I get an error saying I am not connected to the internet.

Could something be wrong with my internet setup? I don't think there is as I am able to access the web when I connect directly to my modem.

12. Sharagoz

Are you saying that you're able to connect to the internet if you're connected by cable to the modem, but not if you are connected by cable to the router?
    When you connect a cable from your PC to the routers Lan1 port, does the Lan1 light turn on?

13. Gamosa

Gamosa Private E-2

To answe your questions, when I connected from modem to router, then laptop to router, LAN1 does light up but there is no internet connection.

When I remove the above cables and simply connect directly to the internet, all works fine.

As I mentioned in my first post, we had a power failure this week while I was away and I am wondering if perhaps the router just got fried, and maybe the only solution is to buy a new one??

When I try connected the modem to the router, the router's power light comes on, the Status LED light blinks and then the WAN light comes on - but I can only get the WAN light to come on if I reset the router.

14. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

I apologize for missing this part there seems to be a problem with your router in it's entirety. I'm going to research your router a little further and see what suggestions they have. In the mean time maybe Sharagoz has a better solution, if I come up with an answer I'll reply

15. Sharagoz

I dont have any further suggestions.
    If you reset the router, all it should take to get online by cable is to connect them right, and I think you have.
    Sorry mate, but I reckon you need a new wireless router.

16. Gamosa

Gamosa Private E-2

Thanks for the help. I was hoping to avoid going the route of a new router, but that's how it is.

17. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

It sounds like your pc router and modem have to be reconfigured to work together. I have a couple of questions. Which computer did you use to set up the router the first time? Is that computer still available? If that computer is still around hook the ethernet cable from your router to that pc then try 192.168.0.1 and see if lets you into the router. If not, Do you still have your setup disk, if so try to set up your router as you did when you first got it. Since you have never connected with your laptop to the router when you use the setup disk you should be able to get a clean install.

18. Gamosa

Gamosa Private E-2

I am using the same PC that was originally connected to the router, and I even went so far as to try and rerun the router setup but the issue is when I connect the router, modem and PC, I can't connect to the internet, so its impossible so start from scratch since the issue seems to lie with the router.

19. ero_senin05

ero_senin05 Private E-2

try this address instead: 10.1.1.1, username: admin, password: admin.

That's the default for every D-Link I've ever had and have right now.

You should be able to access the settings through that. If I remember correctly there should be a "Wizard" program to allow you to enter your information quickly and easily. This should allow full communication between Modem, Router and all Computers connected to the router.

Chances are, the reason you can't connect wirelessly is because the power outage already did a factory reset to the router which is common in sudden power outages. This would mean your wireless security key would have been reset to have no security by default. If your laptop is trying to connect using security settings it won't work. You have to re-do the security settings in the router (i.e. re-enter your WEP/ WPA key) to allow the laptop to connect.

There is usually a section in the "Wizard" which asks you to choose a security key. If not, then on the router's home page there should be a button to the left named "wireless". This will allow you to enter any security settings you desire.

Also in internet explorer click Tools>internet options and click the connections tab. On this tab click the LAN settings button and check the box "Automatically detect settings". If you have a Proxy server address entered in here then disable it - you can't gain access to your router if it's enabled. You can always enable it again once you get everything working properly.

Have a go of that and let us know if any of it helped.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds