EDC Keys stopped working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dustysniper, Nov 22, 2011.

1. dustysniper

dustysniper Private E-2

my edc keys stopped working today. I walked away from my pc for 20 minutes to talk to a friend came back and they werent working anymore. Nothing was installed the laptop didnt even have time to go into hibernation. The keys were working fine before I left cause I was playing a game that requires the keys the laptop hasnt been dropped and no liquids have come in contact with it. It is a year old so its out of warranty. ive got 4 months left until i leave for boot camp i was hoping to relax also I have no money till than.

using OSK right now.

so far ive tried
    reseting
    restoring to an earlier date
    uninstalling driver and having it reinstall
    and hard reseting
    scanned for viruses an malware and nothing

info
    compaq presario cq62-219wm
    standard ps/2 keyboard v. 6.1.7601.17514

2. dustysniper

dustysniper Private E-2

i dont understand at all I shut my computer into hibernation and came back after I woke up and ran in the morning and now the keys are working again. anyone have any idea or is my computer just crazy?

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Welcome to Major Geeks. :)
    I see you are using OSK, which is what I would have recommended as a workaround.

Can you squirt it with a can of compressed air?
    Or brush it thoroughly with an inch wide paintbrush, with the power off.

Bazza

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  4. dustysniper

dustysniper Private E-2

hey bigbazza
    thanks for the reply but the keys work again. All I did was shut the lid on my laptop and let it go into hibernation woke up the next morning and the keys were working fine after i logged back in. Theyve been working fine all day too. It confuses me a bit.

5. bigbazza

Me too, dustysniper :-D

I never use Hibernation as it uses up as much hard drive space, as you have RAM. My Toshiba Satellite P500 laptop boots up quick enough, for me, to not bother with "hiberfil.sys"

Bazza

Screenshot attached on how to set your defaults on screen behaviour.

Baz

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  6. dustysniper

dustysniper Private E-2

ya well the problem came back today. any suggestions?

7. bigbazza

Let us know the make and model of your laptop.
    Someone here will be able to track down how to remove your keyboard.
    It sounds like a bad connection and there are many here more expert than I, in hardware fixes.

Bazza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds