norton slowing down my internet

Discussion in 'Software' started by aznpopstar, Jan 25, 2007.

1. aznpopstar

aznpopstar Private E-2

So i've been doing some investigation and I've found out that my norton internet secuirty is slowing down my internet really bad. it's even worse than dial-up speed. i went through the administrative tools and went to services. i completely turned off all services by norton and my internet is completely fine. the weird thing is that i haven't had this problem with norton before, so why now? any ideas on what i can do? thanks

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

In a few words...dump it! Norton does slow down your computer and is not the software it once was. There are some good free anti-virus programs here.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=20#viruses
    From what I know Norton is not easy to get rid of but someone should come along with some help for that, if not I am looking for a link to uninstalling it, if that is what you choose:)

3. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2007
  4. aznpopstar

aznpopstar Private E-2

thanks alot! i'll think about uninstalling it. it's just i really want to solve this problem since this never happened before. i've been using norton for a long time. but thanks again for your advice. btw, what programs are good to protect my computer.

5. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

MUSKSNIPE gave you some good advice there. ( DUMP NORTON ). i had it for a while and my system slowed to a crawl. see this link and pick at least one antivirus and one firewall. but all the suggestions are recomended. http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=20

6. Wavetar

Wavetar Sergeant

I run Norton Corporate, which is a much less resource intense version of the "regular" Norton professional products. I had been using it for several years with no issues at all. Recently, I had some minor (at least, I considered them minor) issues with some spyware. I fixed it up with some of the freebie spyware software from here on M.G. The spyware was gone, but my computer was suddenly very sloooowwww. After much troubleshooting, the culprit turned out to be the Norton. I assume the spyware had somehow corrupted it. A simple removal (using the Norton removal tool here on M.G. to totally clean everything out after the regular uninstall) and reinstall cleared everything up.

7. DeweyBad

DeweyBad Private First Class

Yes yes all of these geeks are right, I would take "AVG" or "AntiVir" instead.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds