Laptop Graphics Card Driver Issues

Discussion in 'Software' started by Chronicler, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Chronicler

Chronicler Private E-2

I downloaded this driver today after realizing that the one I was using was pretty outdated. I tried installing it and so far I have not been successful. I'm not sure if I'm doing this wrong (first time I ever had to update a driver for anything) or it's some other problem.

The first thing I did was download and run the exe. After a location selection and a short progress bar the "installation" was successful. What I think really happened was that the exe extracted setup files to a folder on my C partition and then prompted to install some HD audio drivers... I continued a bit confused and it finished installing those (I think?). After all this I saw that the display drivers did not update and figured that I would try and run them from the folder the exe extracted to. I found 2 folders in the NVIDIA folder that was extracted to my C drive one had the installation stuff for the audio drivers and the other was titled Display. So I went into the display folder and ran the exe. It was the display driver installation but it gave me an error that their was no drivers that were supported by my hardware or something. So then I tried to uninstall that folder and ended up uninstalling all of the drivers for the graphics card rolleyes.

So now it's using VGA drivers and I desperately need to get either the old drivers back or preferably the latest drivers for the device.

The laptop is an MSI GX620 running Vista Home Premium SP2. The graphics card is a nVIDIA GeForce 9600m GT.

2. Chronicler

Chronicler Private E-2

Alright, I managed to get the old drivers back from the MSI site and everything is working properly again, but I still want to see if I can't update to the latest drivers. The driver I downloaded from nVIDIA still gives me the same error as before. Still not sure if I'm doing the right thing or if the drivers I have are correct for my device.

(Sorry for double post. I couldn't find the Edit button?)

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

At times while that driver from Nvidia is the correct one, its not always supported on a laptop and version to version of latops are different, depends what the OEM (as in MSI) specifies.

The Nvidia drivers have a release date of 2009.06.09 whereas looking as your Downloads for the GX620 the VGA driver dates are 2009.08.13 so newer, likely why those Nvidia ones wont install, the date format if not mistaken Year,Month,Day

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds