Remote Desktop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ldawson, Dec 23, 2009.

1. ldawson

ldawson Private E-2

What is the future of remote access? I would imagine sooner than later we will have access to full remote access meaning being able to view everything from POST to OS boot. Maybe there is something out there already, perhaps a pci card or some BIOS add on that I don't know about??? Currently I have all my clients setup with logmein free but if there is another application out there that can do more I would like to hear some feed back. Thanks

2. PEBKAC

PEBKAC Private First Class

The only thing I know of that will let you view POST and OS boot is an IP remote KVM.

3. djchrist

djchrist Private E-2

I know in the last few years a lot of servers have what's called an ILO port and as long as there is power to the device you can remote to it. It's basicly an extra NIC that you plug into. You also have to purchase an expensive license for it. Lot of companies use it now. I've used it plenty of times even where there is blue screens and lockups and it also has restart features from it as well. Saved me a many trips already.

4. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

There is a card that has remote from power up from Dell.
    The DRAC - Dell Remote Access Controller. I have it in my server @ work.
    I'd LOVE to see a retail version of this device!! So long PCA, VNC, & so on...

5. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Update there are some 'retail' cards out there Raritan Peppercon eRic express runs $540-580. Aten ip9001 $745, & AMI MegaRAC G4 and the older G3 runs $299.
    A little steep, but the G series prices drop as new models come out. The eRic Express is the only one claiming PC use - these are usually server devices.

6. PEBKAC

PEBKAC Private First Class

Interesting!

Since ATX power supplies use a touch switch to power up the motherboard, when you install one of these cards, must you re-route the power switch line through the eRIC card? Or does it work something like "wake on LAN" does--right through the motherboard? I find it interesting that their website states: "The remote server can be powered on, powered off or reset over IP. Please contact your sales representative to find out if you need additional adaptors for the Reset/Power solution." If only Dave had one of these plugged into HAL on Discovery One, it would have saved him and his fellow astronauts a lot of headache.

Also, I didn't see anything on whether the "eRIC express" encrypts the communication between the client and the hosting computer (other than offering the ability to host SSH). Does it support encrypted communcation?

Ref:
    http://www.raritan.com/products/embedded-server-management/eric-express/

7. djchrist

djchrist Private E-2

I think we have all come to the conclusion there isn't a cheap way for this kind of remote access lol.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds