Connection to shared printer with router in the way

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Yog-Sothoth, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth Private E-2

So my office is scattered over several different sites. We have one central server that is a DNS server. People who aren't physicaly connected to the server use a VPN to connect to it. Some of those people use remote Desktop to the server after dialing the VPN because it is much faster than plain VPN.

When I try to print through remote desktop to a local printer it worked for some printers but not most. But, if I just shared the local printer then added it at the server (remote computer) I cold print from rmote desktop just fine.

But that sharing trick only worked if the computer was connected directly to a modem, and therfore had the same internal and external ip address. Some of the computers connect through a router and when I try to reach them from the server I get the error "no network provider accepted the given network path."

What IP should I be trying to reach, computer's, router's, or external.
    All give me the same error.

Please Help me!

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

If you had only one computer accessing the Printer you could open the port through t the Router. However when you have more than one computer it can not be done.

The approach to the network is sort of Amateurish. You should hire a consultant and set it correctly. With VPN End Points and regular over the Internet secure sharing.

3. Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth Private E-2

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the setup is extremely amateurish; I work for a small non-profit organization that can't afford a proper network setup.

I'm a little confused by your reply. Do you mean that if I had several computers attached to the router each with their own printer I could get them to work by opening a port for each or only if there was a single computer with a single printer?

Side question: 2 of the printers attached to the router are plugged into Dell V105 printers. These seem to work using straight forward printer redirection on the remoter desktop. You know, print to Dell V105 in session X. But when they print that way the pages come out all messed-up. There are little black streaks everywhere and the text appears to be printed twice in a slightly different space. Does anyone have any idea what is causing this?

2nd side question: Why do certain printers work with printer redirection but not others?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds