Free drive partition software...

Discussion in 'Software' started by godsdragon, Jul 4, 2010.

1. godsdragon

godsdragon Private E-2

I am running a gateway PC with windows 7 pro. I have over 3 gb of memory and plenty of drive room. I have an ubuntu cd with Linux that I would like to install.
    1. Is there a good drive partition software that would allow me to install Ubuntu without compromising my data and files on my windows partition?

Thank you in advance for your answers!:)

2. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

doesn't win7 already have the ability to resize a partition?

3. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

You should be OK with Win 7's disk management, though it cannot always shrink the system partition as much as ppl want because it cannot move its own fixed stuff. But for 32-bit systems a better solution imo would be to use EASEUS Partition Master. I don't know of a free alternative for 64-bit though.

Be aware that if you do install Linux it will take over your boot sector and install Grub in place of Win 7's Boot Configuration Database. You will still have a dual boot capability but it can severely complicate matters should you later need to do any Win 7 repairs, as Win 7 will remove Grub and reinstall BCD, meaning you will lose your Linux installation.

5. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Another alternative would be to run a virtual machine inside Windows. That doesn't mess with the partitions at all.

6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Wot ibmest says ;) For occasional Linux use, or if you simply want to get to know Linux, a VM is the way to go.

7. jackam

jackam Guest

8. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

9. foogoo

10. foogoo

Why are the links gone?
    partedmagic

partlogic

give away of the day . com Free today only Paragon Partition Manager 11SE

11. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Ubuntu has it's own partition manager.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

12. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Presumably deleted by an Administrator. :cry

I still was able to purchase a copy at a reduced price. Sorry cannot give you a link, but use your imagination. A few hours still to go.

Bazza

===

13. foogoo

Links are back.. weird, never had an issue like that before.
    Sorry for the 'flood'

14. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

The FREE offer has now expired. :cry

Bazza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds