DCOM Server process launcher terminates causing Reboot

Discussion in 'Software' started by Glennster, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Glennster

Glennster Private E-2

I am fairly confident this is a software and not a Malware problem.But am looking for expert opinion.I have run all the various spyware and malware progams and seems nothing has been found of significance.
    The computer inconsistently has a generic host win32 system error upon booting up. I will attach a screen shot of the error.
    I can get the comp to run in diagnostic mode with MSconfig and it seems to stay on. I have tried going through and changing the settings in Mscofig to see if I can narrow down the prob. No consistency to identify.
    Another unusual thing is I always get an error message stating I need to be an administrator to change settings in msconfig which I am logged in as. The changes are always excepted and are changed when I log in.
    The DCOM server process launcher keeps terminating and rebooting comp. I have already set the setting to not reboot with the data execution error but continues to reboot. I cannot log into safe mode it gives me blue screen error.
    Stop: 0x0000007E(0XC0000005,0X80537009,0XF789E508,0XF789E204)
    this is only in safe mode works in normal mode with only the DCOM problem.
    Any help to narrow down error and possible solution would be greatly appreciated. One almost consistent item is the generic host error does not come up the first time I boot after changing start up items in Msconfig.
    There seems to be no consistent time frame or program running which causes the reboot. The problem started about 3 days ago and NO new software has been loaded that I am aware of.
    Please can you help me narrow down this problem?:confused

Attached Files:

2. FLLMTR

FLLMTR Private E-2

For the past four days, I have been contending with the same problem.

You are right, it is not malware. After days of using different Anti-Spyware/Malware and Anti-Virus software, I finally stumbled on a solution that I should have tried at the very beginning.

Run: CHKDSK /R

To the novices out there who may need help on launching this:

Click on "Start"

Click on "Run"

Type in the Open field: CHKDSK /R

Click "Ok"

This will launch Windows Check Disk and will Repair the disk errors. It fixed a slew of errors on my HDD and took about 2-3 hours to run.

This worked to stop with DCOM Server Process Launcher error after all of the other solutions failed.

So far, my computer has been stable.

Please let me know if this solves your problem.

- chris

3. Glennster

Glennster Private E-2

Thanks for the info ran the scan but did not fix.
    I have updated the BIOS and video and audio drivers. It seems that the Generic host shutdown is still happening as well as the shutdown due to the DCOM issue.
    Any help to pinpoint this would help. Have spent hours researching.

4. FLLMTR

FLLMTR Private E-2

Hmmm. I am running XP Professional SP3.

I have tried:
    ComboFix
    Malwarebyte
    Kaspersky Antivirus scan
    Avast Antivirus scan
    various registry cleaners

None of these worked.

That is why I believed the problem with the DCOM is related to a corrupted file(s).

Next option is detailed here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959815

But this solution only applies to:

Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition (32-bit x86)
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition (32-Bit x86)
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Datacenter Edition (32-Bit x86)
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise x64 Edition
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard x64 Edition
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Datacenter x64 Edition
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86)
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition (32-bit x86)
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition (32-bit x86)
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard x64 Edition
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise x64 Edition
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter x64 Edition
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional

5. FLLMTR

FLLMTR Private E-2

The other thing I tried was downloading and reinstalling XP Service Pack 3. This helped to clean up the .dll files. But I do not know if this has any affect in resolving the DCOM issue.

6. techsent

techsent Corporal

Hi Glennster,

Go to start/run type in msconfig and hit enter.

click the services tab.

add a checkmark to Hide all Microsoft Services.

click the disable all button.

click ok.

reboot to test.

Techsent

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds