Unknown Caller bypassing barring block [cell phone]

Discussion in 'Software' started by sheepondrugs, Jan 30, 2011.

1. sheepondrugs

sheepondrugs Private First Class

Hi People,

I have been getting a call from "unknown" on my mobile/cell phone.

These calls happen at random times, but are more than likely a scam.

My mobile has an option to bar "unknown callers" and I have tried this by calling from another mobile using the withhold number and it auto rejects them (as it should).

When this other unknown caller calls me, I looked into my phone "call log" and these calls are shown as "text messages" rather than "calls" and this is how this "unknown caller" bypasses the auto reject call function.

Just to clarify, my phone shows up as "unknown calling" accept/reject. These calls are not auto-rejected as they should be. When I look into the Call Log, these calls are shown as "text messages received" even tho it's a call and I don't receive a text message.

How do I block these calls if they are private/unknown?

Why are these calls shown as "text messages"?

If anyone can help with some info, I would be very happy!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Personally I would call your mobile provider and see if they can trace the calls. Just remember to stress that these unwelcome calls are becomeing a pest to you.

What is your Mobile make and model?
    What provider are you using?

3. sheepondrugs

Hi,

Thanks fot the reply! :)

The network said they would offer a new sim card, which doesn't really help at all.

I'm on O2 network (Pay as you Go)

My mobile phone is : Samsung GT s5600

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Are they putting back your current mobile number to this new SIM?

All I can suggest as its difficult at times to block unknowns, but one thing they maybe are marketing commpanies who has gotten a hold of your number and auto ring and as they are busy they dont always answer you if you pickup or the call gets dropped quickly as the system they have only has so many in the queue.

This may not be a 100% way to block but it does help in register with the Telephone Preference Service (TPS) (this wont stop any unsolicitored SMS messages tho) and add your home and mobile and maybe HERE

5. sheepondrugs

They basically just said, they will send out another SIM card, and I will have to sign up using that, new number, new credit top up / account etc. Afterall that, it may still happen anyways.

I`ll have a read of the website, thank you very much for the help :)

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Boy, I would be inclined to answer the phone and find out just who the hell they are!! Then you can decide how to reply, either with threats to call the authorities or just demand you be taken off their list.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds