Internet Explorer: administrator can't make security changes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by daniel26, Dec 1, 2011.

1. daniel26

daniel26 Private E-2

Trying to make tweaks to Internet Explorer Security settings but a messages indicates that "some settings are managed by your system administrator".

I'm logged on as the administrator and was able to make changes in the past. Not sure how to proceed.

Thanks.

2. LordOlives

LordOlives Private First Class

The message refers to the fact that Internet Explorer's settings are being managed either by local policy or group policy.

Is the computer connected to a Windows domain or a home network?

As long as the computer is not connected to a Windows Domain you can use the group policy editor to check the settings for internet explorer.

CAUTION: Be careful while doing this and it's a good idea to write down the values for the settings before you change them in case you need to change them back.

open the group policy editor
    (start > run, enter 'gpedit.msc')

Navigate to 'Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer'.

Check for any settings that have been 'Enabled' the one your probably looking for is 'Security Zones: Do not allow users to change policies' set this to 'Not configured' if it has been enabled.

Once the change has been made open a command prompt and execute 'gpupdate /force' or you can restart your computer.
    (start > run, enter 'cmd')

3. daniel26

daniel26 Private E-2

I thought we were connected to a home network, but recent error messages make wonder if that network is fully functional, so I've begun a separate thread:http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=248050

My cursory research of the "some settings are managed by your system administrator" error inclines me to fear a malware problem and re-launch into the Malware Removal Guide, but it seems like I was just there: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=247133.

I'm not sure how to answer the question re: Windows domain, but I'm not able to run the group policy editor, so...

4. djlowe

djlowe Private First Class

Hi,

What version of Vista are you running? Click on Start, Right-click on Computer, select Properties.

What version of IE? Run it, then select Help, About. If the menu is turned off, right-click on the title bar and turn it on.

Does the problem happen if you run IE without add-ons? Click Start, Run, type iexplore -extoff and then press Enter. Does it work then?

You also state that you can't run gpedit.msc - what error do you get?

Boot the computer in Safe Mode:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

Can you edit the IE security settings in Safe Mode? Can you run gpedit.msc in Safe Mode?

Regards,

dj

5. LordOlives

If you can't answer the question then your probably not on a Windows domain.
    I just wanted to make sure the settings were not being pushed by a domain controller via group policy.

The fact that your not able to run the group policy editor is probably due to the fact that your version of Windows is a home edition which the policy editor tool is not available.

6. LordOlives

resource: http://social.technet.microsoft.com...y/thread/cd9e1fc2-e209-49f4-ae4a-78222969c6b2

WARNING: Making registry changes can be dangerous, always make a backup before modifying the registry.

Open the registry editor
    (start > Run, enter 'regedit')

Navigate to 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\'

Look for a value called 'Security_HKLM_only' if the value is set to 1 change it to 0.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds