Build a desktop computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ray Davis, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Ray Davis

Ray Davis Private First Class

I want to build good quality gaming desktop, so I'm looking for recommendations, guides, sources, to get started. Suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Ray

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Are you wanting an Intel or AMD CPU, and what is your budget?

3. Ray Davis

Thanks for the reply...
    Which CPU would you recommend, or what reading do you suggest. I don't know enough to choose. Budget could run 1-3K. Does that sound reasonable?
    Ray

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Yes, you could build a great machine with that kind of budget. Intel vs AMD is kinda like Chevy vs Ford. With the newer multi core CPU's either would work. I went with AMD on the last one I built. My budget was a little lower than yours. I would go to Newegg.com, and look around at the CPU's. Maybe read some reviews, although I take online reviews with a grain of salt so to speak.

I usually select the CPU I want to use, then the motherboard and video card. Then spec out the power supply I want to get. Make you a list, maybe put them in the cart to compare prices.

One piece of advice, is DO NOT skimp on the power supply! Get a good one, with a little more than the minimum Wattage. I am not really up on all the new CPU's and such, maybe someone will come along with suggestions.

It is nice how RAM prices have gotten very affordable. A Solid State Drive is a very nice thing to get as well.

5. Ray Davis

Thanks a bunch. If I can keep my ducks in a row, in a few weeks I'll let you know what happens, list and all.
    Raly

6. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

7. Ray Davis

Thanks. I'll be spending some time with your recommendation!
    Ray

8. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Best piece of advice out there. Choosing the PSU is one of, if not the most important purchasing decision - but must be one of the last decisions too because you need to know the demands of your other chosen components first. For sure, get a supply that is 80 PLUS certified to ensure good efficiency across the full range of expected loads. With your budget, I recommend 80 PLUS Gold. I like Seasonic, XFX, and Antec Gold supplies.

A good quality case (alone with the PSU) for the foundation for your computer with support for years of upgrades. I like Antec cases too. I will never buy a case unless it has removable, washable air filters. And it must support several large (120mm or larger) fans.

I prefer Intel but no doubt AMD makes quality, reliable CPUs too. You need to decide first which brand you want, then go from there. After you pick your CPU, find a motherboard that supports it. I like Gigabyte, then ASUS.

Each motherboard maker will (should!!!) maintain QVLs (qualified vendors lists) for compatible CPUs and RAM for each board. Be sure to consult those lists. You MUST buy a listed CPU to ensure compatibility. But for RAM, there are just too many RAM makers and models for the board makers to test and verify them all. So you don't have to buy listed RAM, but you do need to buy RAM with the same specs as listed RAM to ensure compatibility.

I recommend 8Gb of RAM minimum, 16Gb if you want to splurge. And of course with more than 4Gb of RAM you MUST run with 64-bit Windows.

Unless building a budget PC, I see no reason to use hard drives these days - except for backups and mass storage of photos, videos, and tunes.

A good Intel i5 offers the best bang for your money - especially for gaming. But again, with your budget, you could go with an i7 too.

If not doing extreme overclocking, stick with the OEM cooler. Contrary to what some believe and may tell you, today's OEM coolers are very good and fully capable of keeping the CPU adequately cooled, even with mild to moderate overclocking. And if the CPU comes with an OEM cooler in the same retail package, they are warrantied together as "a unit" for 3 years. A good thing. If there's a downside, OEM coolers are not the quietest, but they are much quieter than they used to be and a good case will most likely suppress the noise anyway, leaving the PSU, GPU, and case fans to make up the difference.

I never use aftermarket coolers anymore, except when building HTPCs (home theater PCs) and total "silent running" with passive (no fan) cooling is required.

9. Ray Davis

Again, thank you, and others who have contacted me.
    Also, if you know how to locate a source for instructions, a guide, plan, etc., I'd like to look at some options. You can tell by this point, I'm pretty much flying blind.
    Thanks. Ray

10. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

There are many out there but what I generally recommend is after you decide what you want, visit the motherboard's website and download the user guide/manual. Become familiar with your motherboard and it connections and their locations and it will provide lots of instructions AND precautions. Do the same with your case manual. Note the case's front panel connections so you know where to connect them to the motherboard. Note the wires from the case may not be labeled the same as the motherboard. It may say Pwr LED on the wire but P-LED on the motherboard, for example. Or Reset and RST SW for the reset button. Same with your other components.

11. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

;) This should make a good bookmark for you -
    http://www.build-gaming-computers.com/

12. Ray Davis

Well, not exactly a bookmark, but, it will go into the collection of quotes and suggestions I'm stuffing into Evernote (outstanding program so far). Obviously I've got a lot to do before I'll my (me and my son) toy. Cheers, Ray

13. Ray Davis

Re: Computer Build 7/15

This is more of a 'restart' than a reply, tho there is some of both.
    My son and I are looking at components, and, taking advice from previous responders, ie, 1st the CPU, then mother board, video card, the power supply, and a compatible case.

The CPU we're considering is... Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W BX80648I75820K Desktop Processor $ 389
    - Comments welcome

Also, any recommendations for what would go well for mother bd, video card, & power supply.
    I'm looking forward to your feedback.
    Ray

14. Ray Davis

I'm adding to my previous post...
    I'm now considering a different CPU as a start:

AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz

My earlier questions still want answers, but with this compent as the starting point. Thanks. Ray.

15. Ray Davis

I'm adding to my previous post...
    I'm now considering a different CPU as a start:

AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz

My earlier questions still want answers, but with this compent as the starting point. Thanks. Ray.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds