no power

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wrangler2100, Aug 11, 2015.

1. wrangler2100

wrangler2100 Private First Class

went to turn on my computer heard a small pop and now it doesnt have any power , any ideas , its a lenovo mediacenter i am trying to find more info on it

2. wrangler2100

wrangler2100 Private First Class

lenova ideacentre k330b

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Buy a new power supply and replace it with what is in. Perhaps the pop wasn't from the power supply but that fact that it has no power says the power supply you have isn't working.

4. Dumb_Question

Dumb_Question Sergeant Major

I Think you should do rudimentary tests on your psu. Remove it, turn it on (search 'paper clip test' on internet to see how to do this) and measure the voltage O/Ps with a voltmeter - see for example the section in the Wikipedia article on ATX psus for more information. If they are not approximately what they should be, it is the PSU (if you can get the PSU to turn on (fan should spin).

For a few <$20 even $10 you can you a PSU tester which you connect the PSU to and it reads the voltages, and tells you if they're good (depending the model you have)

The above tests have the disadvantages that they do not test the PSU in a real way ie. .,under a real load, but should tell you simply if your PSU is dead.

On the other hand, a new PSU could can useful on many occasions, and would definitively tell you whether the psu was the problem.

It might be that a capacitor o(or even another individually important component)n your m/b has blown and this is the cause of the loss of the loss of power but this is unlikely. inspect the board closely under magnification to if it s any thing obvious though I don't think you'll find anything.

Dumb_Question
    12.August.2015

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds