Windiws 7 SP1 error: ERROR_TOO_MANY_LINKS (0x800770476)

Discussion in 'Software' started by hicksmach10, Aug 25, 2015.

1. hicksmach10

hicksmach10 Private E-2

Windiws 7 SP1 error: ERROR_TOO_MANY_LINKS (0x800770476);

Has anyone seen this error? I have been trying to update Windows 7 to SP1 and just can not get past this error. I am hoping one of you folks will take pity on me and shed some light!

Windows 7 Home premium
    Windows is activated

ASUS Desk top PC CM5571
    Pentium Dual Core CPU E5400 @ 2.70 GHZ 2.70 Ghz
    6 GB installed Memory
    64 Bit operating System

Please, any information you need I will be happy to provide. Thank you all for your time and attention.

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. hicksmach10

hicksmach10 Private E-2

Tried all as suggested by Eldon, but to no avail. I even attempted in Safe Mode, but that did not let the install complete either. But I think that we are making progress.

4. hicksmach10

hicksmach10 Private E-2

Tried tweaking.com restore, nada.

ran a bunch of programs including combofix, nada.

deleted all the log files I could, nada.

Cleared the drives as best I could with CCleaner and windows cleaner utility, nada.

Same damned error.

Does anyone have an idea?

5. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings hicksmach10.

My next step would be to run a System File Check - do you have a Windows 7 disk handy?

6. hicksmach10

hicksmach10 Private E-2

The OS was pre-loaded at the manufacturer, so I do not have a disk. Can I run SFC despite this fact?

7. Caliban

8. hicksmach10

hicksmach10 Private E-2

Okay. I ran SFC, at the end of run it said it had repaired some files, but could not repair one. I went to look at the log, but lo and behold access was denied.

Oh boy this is frustrating!

9. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

Re: Windows 7 SP1 error: ERROR_TOO_MANY_LINKS (0x80070476)

Access will be denied if the Windows Modules Installer Service (TrustedInstaller.exe) is running.
    To stop the service:
    • Press the Windows key + R to bring up the Run box, and enter services.msc
    • Scroll down to Windows Modules Installer and stop the service.

10. hicksmach10

hicksmach10 Private E-2

Re: Windows 7 SP1 error: ERROR_TOO_MANY_LINKS (0x80070476)

Thank you, Nullptr. I read that I could do that. But I waited because I have learned that once I am working with folks on the board I shouldn't go forward without reporting back with all the latest details. Sometimes what appears to be the smallest condition to me is a key clue to an expert.

11. hicksmach10

hicksmach10 Private E-2

Stopped the modules installer service as we discussed. Got this message,
    "Failed to clear log blah-blah-blah. The RPC server is unavailable".
    To be clear, Remote Procedure Call is running, set to Automatic and started.

12. Caliban

Good morning.

You might try "clean booting" the machine:
    After the computer starts, proceed with the SP1 installation.

A few questions for information:

1. Are you experiencing any other problems with the machine?

2. Have you been updating the resident Windows 7? Is the SP1 update the only update problem you've seen? The reason I ask that is because it's my understanding that unlike previous Service Packs, Windows 7 SP1 does not contain any major improvements; it’s basically a rollup of updates that have been released for the operating system since it was released in 2009. If you have been diligently updating your computer through Windows Update since then, you basically have all that SP1 has to offer.

13. hicksmach10

hicksmach10 Private E-2

AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!

So damned close and yet SOOOOO FAR!

The same error again, despite all our efforts so far. I was hoping when I should have been doubting....

Oh, the machine has been updating for most updates, I think that it may have missed a few.

14. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

This is written by Dell. I know you have an ASUS but it might help with the RPC server is unavailable error you are seeing. Obviously you have taken care of step 1 bit there are 3 other things to look at.
    http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN283117/EN

Look over your DNS settings and your security programs.

15. hicksmach10

hicksmach10 Private E-2

I'm going to give this a shot in a little bit. Thanks for the tips.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds