Looking for easy "graphic" designer

Discussion in 'Software' started by outdoorgal, Aug 27, 2015.

1. outdoorgal

outdoorgal Sergeant Major

Can someone recommend a simple graphic designer I can download here at MGs?

I am familiar, and have, GIMP, but I don't see it as simple. I struggle everytime I try it. I want to create a WELCOME sign. This is for my Senior forum "introductions" thread.

I googled to find some pre-made signs/banners, but you have to paste in all this code and I don't care to do that, so want to make my own;)

Denise

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

This is not software, but I found this and it looks like it is very easy and you do not have to download it as you just create things like you are talking about online. You do have to register for an account.

It's called Canva: https://www.canva.com/

Here's a review on youtube if you want to take a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpSA4k7DEys

3. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Denise

What type of designs do you wish to produce? I note you mention banners, so is it website headers, business card type designs or something different, as in photo editing etc?

Do you have Microsoft Office and Powerpoint? as if you do I find it really good to design banners and logos with.

5. outdoorgal

Hi David,

I don't have those programs, did, but I did a factory reset, and it wiped them out. I had bought them (low price) when I was in college, and the disks are only set to work once:( That would have been excellent.

I may find a free alternative to powerpoint though, or Word. I think "Open Office" (did I get the name right?) might work similar. I did have GIMP, but upgraded it, and can use tutorials on youtube.

Thank you for replying, appreciate your help/suggestion:) Denise

6. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

There are 2 alternatives to Microsoft office which are 'Open Office' and LibreOffice.

Libreoffice has a application called draw which is for graphics designs.
    Open Office has the same application so its entirely down to choice.

7. outdoorgal

appreciate it Andy, think I'll go with OO since I have used it in the past, and, since it has the graphics design as well. It sounds like a good deal:) Denise

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Denise

OO is good but what type of designs do you wish to create as I and some others can advise you, in a previous life before me entering ophthalmology, I trained as a graphic designer in advertising and logos.

9. outdoorgal

Hi David,

I'm just using my paint.net right now. I just want to make, for now, a Welcome "sign", very simple, although, I decided to use one of my photos for the background, and follow a tute on some nice text;)

I may change my mind as I start with simple, and tend to complicate things when I want, more, more, more, LOL!! My photo is pretty loud, so kind of leaning toward white background with fancy, even sparkly letters. Who knows, I don't think I can go wrong looking through the tutes on youtube and just following one of them;) Denise

10. outdoorgal

Thank you Laura and Eldon, I'll check out Canva, and yes, I love paint.net and am using that for now Eldon;)

Denise

11. DON GAYNOR

DON GAYNOR Sergeant

Denise,

I love the high quality results achievable with The Logo Creator It's about US$20 and creates very professional-looking results.

I'd be very happy to do a splash screen for you to include your picture and text.

Don

12. outdoorgal

No thank you Don, I appreciate the offer, but Paint.net is working fine for me;) Denise

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds