Where's my free space gone!

Discussion in 'Software' started by lockett1977, Nov 17, 2004.

1. lockett1977

lockett1977 Private E-2

Hi

Could someone tell me how I can find out what files are using my hard drive and how much they are using, because I think there could be programs there that I have uninstalled but still have the files somewhere in my computer.

Thanks in Advance

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Sometimes folders and a few odd files can be left once a program in uninstalled, easy option if you definatly know you have uninstalled a program via Add/Remove or the apps uninstaller first is to look in C:\program files for any remainding folders to those apps and delete.

another type of program you can use to give you a graphical look at what files are on your HDs is this SpaceMonger 1.4 http://www.werkema.com/software/spacemonger.html ( version 1.4 is freeware )

I do use this to take a look at what occupying my HD

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Halo, thanks for the link. Finally found a site that worked (I hate Simtel). Haven't installed it yet. It is a graphical representation of your hard drive apparently. Is there any software out there that will check out every file on your hard drive and sort them numerically from highest to lowest in bytes size ( or vice versa), irrespective of Folder/file name.
    Hell I'm even willing to pay for it. Bazza
    ===

4. DavidGP

Try this out Bazza,

SizeExplorer
    http://www.sizeexplorer.com/
    Pro or Lite .. size 1.324kb - 730kb
    21 day trial

just had a quick go... once installed click your HD letter > Explore and once its catalogued files click File Lister and it looks like it will show you all files from largest to smallest.

5. bigbazza

Thanks again, Halo. I'd prefer a numerical listing than a graphical one, so will give this a try. Gunna download it right now. Will report back early next week. Thx again. Baz.

PS How did you find it? Did you do a google search. What parameters did you use?
    So I know for next time. Baz

===

6. DavidGP

Yes on Google.... as for the exact parameters, Sadly I cannot rememeber!!! :(
    but was similar to list folder size byte which gave me a link to a site I never saved.

7. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

also you may want to run scandisk, because your freespace may be being reported wrong.

8. bigbazza

Thanks Halo. The reason I asked is to get an idea of other's thought processes behind key word searching on google. ;) I gotta think more "outside the box". AOL crashed :p when I tried to download your link so will try again. Bazza

===

9. DavidGP

Gives me a thought, if I do find something of interest I will try and make a note of the search parameters for future ref, if you havnt managed to get that program I have it downloaded already and will gladly email it to you, just PM me your addy.

10. bigbazza

Thanks for the offer. I've downloaded it OK, but yet to install it. Your idea on parameters on Google is a good idea. Never can seem to use the same parameters twice, with a break in between. I also have an Excel database spreadsheet on useful MG posts that I wish to commit to memory if, and when, I move from W98SE to XP. Have over 2,000 entries so far of useful info. Usually find 10-15 gems of info each day.Baz

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds