File or Folder Attributes

Discussion in 'Software' started by harrym, May 24, 2005.

1. harrym

harrym Private E-2

Hi Guys

I'm sorry if this has been answered already, I searched but couldn't find anything that was like it so here goes.

I have a folder which contains several sub folders, some zipped/rar files and a heap of files of varying stuff from text to image etc. What I want to do is compress the folder using windows compression so I can still work with it as normal and also add a password to it if I want.

However, when I look at the attributes of th efolder it shows the 'read only' radi button as a solid colour, suggesting to me that there are files or folders or something within the folder that is set to read only but, and here's where the problem actually starts, i can't change thoise attributes at all.....I have admin rights..it's my PC and I have set that up correctly and checked that my profile actually does have those rights..... but when I change the attributes and set it for all files and sub folders it doesn't do anything at all and as a result, I can't compress the folder.....

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in anticipation

HarryM

2. wildkyle

wildkyle Private E-2

Harry,
    The folder attributes will show as "Read only" because you have a zip/rar file in the folder. They are considered "Read Only".

In reference to the Compression question, I believe you will be able to compress the folder once you the zip/rar files are removed from the folder. You can't compress a compressed file.

Hope this helps

Kyle C.

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

You can't compress a compressed file? Or are you saying that after the first compression, you won't gain all that much with the 2nd? Or am I reading to far into your answer.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds