Windows XP computer can't access home network.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by onegoodman, Feb 26, 2012.

1. onegoodman

onegoodman Private First Class

I have three Linux computers on the network, and a Windows 7. The four computers have no problems sharing files. They can use files and the printer from the XP computer. But the XP computer says that I don't have permission to access the network.

I have done malware scans, and the logs look clean. This problem just started, How long I don't know. I don't use that computer much anymore. My wife uses it every day.

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Where is the computer with XP coming into play? First you stated that you have four computers, three running some version of Linux, and one running Windows 7. As for not having permission to access the network, can you even browse websites on that machine out on the Internet or not?

Your post is very confusing as to what the problem is, whether it is network shares, or able to browse the Internet on one of the computers. How are they all hooked up, who is your Internet provider, and where is this machine running Windows XP coming into play?

3. onegoodman

The XP computer don't have a problem connecting to the internet. The xp computer says that I don't have permission to access the network. I'm not able to access the shares on the other computers.

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

So, where does the computer with XP come into play? You stated that it is Windows 7. Which Operating system is that computer running? As for the computer running windows, if you are getting a statement that you do not have permission to access the network, sounds like you are stating that you have set up a proxy. If it is just that you can not access the network shares on the machines running Linux, really need to know what flavor or version of Linux you are running, due to there are too many to name.

Lets start from the beginning. What version of Linux are the three computers running, what version of Windows is the other running? Are you going through a switch, router, modem?

I can tell you this, that if the machine running Windows is not able to access the shares on the Linux machines, it would come down to having the workgroup the same on all machines, Samba must be running. Intermixing two operating systems that from the start, one of them does not like the other, even though the other is attempting to do it right, you have to know how to make Linux and Windows cooperate.

It is easier to get Windows to connect to a server running Linux, than it is getting Windows to talk to Linux workstations.

5. onegoodman

I have Ubuntu 11.10 on two machines, and 10.04 LTS on one very old computer. The one with 10.04, I use as a file server, and backup. The one with Windows 7 is my Daughters, her computer has no problem reading and righting to the server. The XP machine is the only one that some how, says that,

“You may not have permission to access this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have permission to access this server.”

This has only started in the last month, I backed up this computer around that time.

I believe it a possible registry error, or something missing in the registry.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  6. onegoodman

I almost forgot, I use Verizon fios router. The XP computer, and the server are hard wired, the others are wireless.

7. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

What you are getting is a issue caused by SAMBA on what ever Linux machine that you are trying to connect with the machine running XP. If you can browse from XP to the Windows 7 machine, and 7 to XP, that rules out the XP machine. But if you are trying to connect a computer running Windows, to one running Linux, that means that it is a issue with SAMBA on that Linux machine, nothing to do with the registry.

8. onegoodman

Windows 7 is my Daughters, her computer has no problem reading and righting to the server, which is Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. The last I check I still have Wins resolution.

9. onegoodman

I attached a copy of my, samba configuration. Can you see any problems in it.

10. onegoodman

For some reason, the site would not let me upload as a configuration file so i copied it as a txt file.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  11. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Run the following from terminal (Just copy and paste what is below):
    smbclient -U% -L localhost

The only way that I have been able to fix problems with Samba not working, is by doing a complete remove, then reinstall and not make any changes, with any client software, or edit the config file. Like I stated before, Windows does not like cooperating with Linux desktops, but if you have a server package running on a stand alone computer, then Windows will talk to that server. It has gotten worst with Linux and Windows, after Windows 7 came out.

All that I can really suggest, is to check out the Ubuntu forums, and play with the samba install. You can also download Webmin from http://www.webmin.com and use it. I put all of my files that I share on workstations, on my cloud drive at box.net, due to I got tired of the headaches with Windows not playing nicely with my netbook running Ubuntu 11.10.

12. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

13. onegoodman

I did have to fix the script on the server. Some minor adjustments. I also changed my version of to samba 4, Its still Experimental but I haven't found any problems as of yet.
    I also need to fix the XP computer. It was missing this in the registry.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
    restrictanonymous
    Value data 0

Thanks, For all the Information.
    Sometimes it's worth giving the bata versions a try.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds