Simple tips or tricks.

Discussion in 'Software' started by onegoodman, Dec 18, 2012.

1. onegoodman

onegoodman Private First Class

Have you ever went to watch a movie, and the screen keeps going blank every 5 minutes.
    I use this trick to keep this from happening, It works until you ether log-off your system or reboot. This is not a permanent solution like going to your power saving application will do.
    Just quicker, and easier. You won't need to remember change anything back.

Just open your terminal, and type in the following.

2. onegoodman

Connecting with Wicd Network Manager

A lot of lighter Distros of Linux use Wicd, as a network manager.
    I Found this short video that will answer a lot of questions,
    for those users who are are unfamiliar with Wicd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bSN8yZW... youtu.be&a

3. onegoodman

Here is the corrected link to the Youtube video from my last post.
    I didn't notice it fast enough to edit the last post.

http://youtu.be/6bSN8yZWoxo

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  4. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

just reminded me, on my mandriva i had the blank screen issue,
    powersave wasn't working properly

fixed it with this, typed into a konsole as normal user

cd .kde4/Autostart
    echo 'xset -dpms' > disable-dpms.sh
    chmod a+x disable-dpms.sh

obviously only works for kde though

5. onegoodman

If anyone has some simple tips. That you use a lot your welcome to post it here.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  6. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Are you using the Right-Click shortcuts in LXDE? Learning how those scripts and colors to change TINT2 help you understand the OS in general. I was an Conky addict...;)

7. ichase

ichase Corporal

Greetings all
    Has been quite some time since I have been in these parts.
    Nice to see some familiar faces hawklord who assisted me with when I first installed Linux Mandriva One with KDE 4.3. BOoMM who's knowledge has been very helpful especially his vast knowledge of Conky which I still use to this day.

To add to this post something simple and useful I will add the copy command from the command line.

Code:
    cp /files/or/directories/to/copy /directory/to/copy/to/ 
    Though with the correct permissions you can do this from your file manager; Thunar, Dolphin, SpaceFM etc

Now lets say you want to copy a directly and make it recusive so you copy all files within that directory. Simply use the -R flag. Note: In Linux case sensitivity is important. -R is different than -r

Code:
    cp -R /directory/to/copy /directory/to/copy/to/ 

8. ichase

ichase Corporal

Did not edit fast enough so adding a new post to another useful trick :)

Another one that I wanted to add was how Linux recognizes space between the title of a directory or file. Unlike Windows where the space is a recognized character. For example. Let's say in Linux you are trying to cd (change directories) on a thumb drive that is used in both windows and linux. You have a folder titled: Cool Pictures. Now, to cd to this folder in linux, if you try and change the directory with:
    Code:
    cd Cool Pictures 
    You are going to get an error stating that Cool is no such file or directory. So how do you make Linux recognize the space between Cool and Pictures. You will do this with the backslash \ example:
    Code:
    cd Cool\ Pictures 
    And now you are in the Cool Pictures folder or directory :)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  9. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

Not to get overly technical, but I think the \ is referred to as the forward slash. The backward slash / is a windows convention. Regardless, I didn't know how to use the "escape" character in this way. I've always used quotes, like this: cd "Cool Pictures". Cool tip...thanks Ian!

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You have that backwards ;)

/ is forward slash or just slash. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slash_(punctuation)

\ is backslash. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backslash

The backslash is used for Windows in directory paths. C:\, for example.

The forward slash is used for directory paths in nix variants. /usr/lib, for example.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2013
  11. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

In my best Homer Simpson impersonation....DOHHHHH!!!

Don't know what I was thinking. A momentary case of "slydexia" perhaps?

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

LOL.

I still get mixed up occasionally, switching between OSes constantly.

Luckily, powershell accepts '/'.

13. ichase

ichase Corporal

Funny thing is, I have been using Linux exclusivly for about 2 1/2 years now. I have gotten used to using the underscore ( _ ) between words. Such as: Cool_Pictures. I really only use Windows for work, so without thinking, I am always using the underscore between words in Windows. :-D

Hedon James, apologize for not mentioning you in my original post. Another member of the MG team that was very helpful when I started with Linux. :)

14. onegoodman

The new kernels don't require anything between words in a file name, or directory name.
    You can use a space now with no problem. No need for an underscore, or dash between words.

15. ichase

ichase Corporal

I don't think so, I am currently running kernal 3.8.3-2 and if you try to make a directory or access a directry such as "cool pictures" it either creates the directory as "cool" or states "cool" no such file or directory. I just tried it.

16. ichase

ichase Corporal

Wanted to post this link that is chock full of great tips and tricks in Linux.
    Bruno Linux
    Now some of these tips are out dated but MOST of them are still VERY useful. ;)

Bruno was the ultimate teacher of Linux who hung out at a forum I spend most of my time at. Bruno's All Things Linux on the Scot's Newsletter Forums. The Sub-forum was named after him for all the work in helping new and experienced Linux explorers learn and enjoy Linux.

His legacy still lives on with the folks over there who bend over backwards to help in any way they can. :)

17. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

OMG...the Bruno Linux URL is AWESOME!! I certainly could've used that cheat-sheet of information when I was a newbie. Even now, it's still a handy reference for tasks that I don't do very often. Can we sticky the Bruno Linux URL? What are the legal ramifications of that? If we can't sticky that doc, can we sticky the link?

Besides being useful as a tutorial for newbies, and a reference for not-so-newbies, it would be a nice tool for help providers on this forum to refer to when assisting help seekers. For example:

Q: I need to create a backup of my system. How do I do that?
    A: Using the LuckyBackup GUI (or Deja Dup, or whatever program the helper is familiar with), do the following steps (GUI instruction provided).... Alternatively, you may find it quicker or easier to use the terminal. Follow the Bruno Linux tutorial (stickied to main Linux forum) for backup instructions.

It would be nice to have a "standard" set of terminal instructions to refer to, but I don't have the time to compile it, I'm sure others feel the same, and why repeat the work that Bruno has already completed?! Help with GUI tasks can still be provided by whomever has familiarity with the task in the GUI suggested. Just my thoughts...

18. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I wouldn't know. I've been trained not to use spaces in directory or file names LOL.

19. onegoodman

Must be the difference in the window mangers, or the OS.
    Here is a pic of my home directory.

Attached Files:

20. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I think it is going to rely more on the shell being used.

Dash vs. Bash, vs. Ash, vs. blah blah blah blah.

21. ichase

ichase Corporal

Now that you mention it Adrynalyne, it makes sense that it would be a shell rule more than a kernel rule. In Arch, I use bash. ;)

22. ichase

ichase Corporal

Bruno Knaapen would be honored as he thoroughly enjoyed teaching people how to use and enjoy Linux. There would be no legal ramifications. His family keeps the site active but if that should change we can change the link to Bruno's All Things Linux (BATL) where they have all of these there in a stickied thread. ;)

23. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

Converting .mp3 to .wav from command line

MP3 to WAV conversion using mpg123:

"mpg123 is a free software cross-platform command-line MPEG audio player whose library, libmpg123, is noted for its speed at decompressing MPEG audio files. As the name suggests, it supports MPEG-1 and -2, layers 1, 2, and 3. Its most common use is to play MP3 files."

mpg123 is probably already included with your distro, otherwise use your software manager or package system to get it.

entering mpg123 or mpg123 --longhelp into the terminal will give you the man page

From the Terminal
    CD to the directory with the .mp3s you wish to convert

For a single file:
    Code:
    mpg123 -w songtitle.wav songtitle.mp3
    To do the entire directory:

Code:
    for i in *.mp3; do mpg123 -w "`basename "$i" .mp3`".wav "$i"; done

24. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

Upgrading to Filezilla 3.6.0.2

Running Mint 13 mate.

Filezilla 3.6.0.2 is not in the repos yet, but I wanted it. So downloading the binary was fine, it can be run and it picks up all settings/bookmarks. A workaround...

But I wanted to launch the newer one from the Menu, so I did this:

Logged into root.
    Went to usr/bin
    Swapped out the filezilla executable

Went back to my user account and all is well, new version, settings/bookmarks intact, works well...

25. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Alternatively, you could have pointed the menu to the new one. Safer and easier to reverse.

Not all apps are contained within a single executable, so that won't always work.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds