No paging file error

Discussion in 'Software' started by Thomas1958, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Thomas1958

Thomas1958 Private E-2

I have Windows XP, when I boot it says i do not have paging file set. When i click ok it boots normally. I have service pack 2 and all the latest updates. How can i install a second copy of XP on the same hard drive so i can scan the orignal copy for errors?

Thanks for any help.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

To scan for errors in the system files ....put the xp cd in the drive ...exit out of the setup screen ..go to start/run and type sfc /scannow .....let it run ..will report any system files that have been changed.:) :)

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Beat me to it, TimW.:D Bazza

===

4. TimW

@Bazza - looking at wrecked auto's will slow you up!!:) :) :) :)

5. Thomas1958

Thomas1958 Private E-2

Yes The page file settings are correct.

6. TimW

Page file should be set to 1 1/2 times the amount of ram.:) :)

7. Thomas1958

Thomas1958 Private E-2

Thanks that helped. But does anybody know to create a dual boot with two copies of XP?

8. TimW

Not a good idea!!!

9. bigbazza

TimW.
    Depends on how much RAM you have and your usage patterns. Try

SIW(System Info) http://majorgeeks.com/SIW_System_Info_d4387.html

go to Hardware--> System Info. That shows you what size you have allocated to SwapFile, how much is in use and Max used in this session.

My laptop has 1 gig of RAM, and I had a SwapFile of 1.5 gigs (!.5 x multiplier), according to M$ and lots of other posts.

I ran SIW, it showed Max used around 100 megs. I have since reduced my SwapFile to 500 megs (saving 1 gig of hard drive space). Just checked it right now and MaxUsed is 59 megabytes, so I stll have a safety margin of at least 5-8 times over Maximum used.

Check out my posts onhttp://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=93062

It is amazing what you find out if you challenge dogma ( in this case 1.5 times RAM).
    Too many people cannot act outside the box.

I suggest you give SIW a try. I'd like you report back, please. It appears to work for me, assuming SIW is telling the truth. Bazza

===

10. TimW

@Bazza - will check it out as soon as I finish stripping the paint off my tractor with Coca Cola!!! (Question authority!!!):) :)

11. bigbazza

As I said in another post, I just list 'em, don't read them. (mostly).
    Although I have a typed page somewhere on alternate uses for Coca Cola.
    Must try and find it. Bazza

re SIW: It will be interesting to know your results, as well as anyone else willing to give SIW a try. Bazza

===

12. TimW

@Bazza ....ok, the tractor is stripped clean and can now go haul the wrecked car out of the drive way .....
    Downloaded and installed ....max page file used is 142 ....set at 384 ....guess I can lower that a tad ....looks like a sweet program ......may have to recommend along with Everest ....

13. bigbazza

TimW, I'd leave it at 384 to give you at least 100% margin, just in case. Me, I've left mine at 500, with Maximum around 100.

@@ To others reading this, open your mind, try SIW (see earlier post for link) and report back. Bazza

===

14. bigbazza

Anyone else given SIW a try?
    I'd like to know the results, and your thoughts, for and against.
    Bazza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds