Damaged/Missing File: system32\drivers\pci.sys

Discussion in 'Software' started by chatelaine128, Feb 12, 2007.

1. chatelaine128

chatelaine128 Private E-2

Hello Geekland -

I put my laptop to bed several nights ago with no problem (am running Windows XP). Went to boot up the next morning and couldn't. Screen said the following (approx.):

"Damaged or missing file: system32\drivers\pci.sys"

It also said I could attempt to repair the file with the repair function available on the original Windows set-up cd.

Because you all were so helpful in helping me kick some seriously heinous malware off my machine a couple months ago (and because I know exactly jack about computers), I decided to check here first before I attempted repair on my own.

I have several questions:

What is this file?

What does it do?

Any ideas as to how it became damaged (malware, again?), so I can prevent another occurrence?

Do you have a protocol for me to run (like the malware removal protocol) to assess/fix this problem?

I tried to find something using the search function in the forums section, but couldn't come up with anything relevant. So, if it's there and I missed it, I apologize in advance for wasting everyone's time.

Thank you from a geek wannabe.

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

That is a new one on me. I Googled it and got a couple of hits. One said a virus, I doubt that, a virus lives to spread and mess with you all day, not (normally I think) to kill the host. I did find this http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330181

Maybe that will give you a starting point. From what I gathered by scanning the article, you may have a hardware failure. Do you have a Linux live CD or anything you can boot the computer off the CD?

Hopefully someone will post soon with more info.

Good luck!

E

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds