Network Help Needed!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by krekerohan, Dec 31, 2007.

1. krekerohan

krekerohan Private E-2

I'm squarely in the land of confusion.

4 computers - 2 desktop, 2 laptop. All run WinXP HE SP2. Linksys WRT54G v.8.0 router. All computers have good internet access through router. Appears all computers can "see" each other as ping tests are successful.

However, having trouble with file/folder/printer sharing. Ran Windows Network Setup Wizard. On the "main" computer, when I go to My Network Places>View Workgroup Computers, the three other computers are listed there by their computer "description" and "name" (see right-click My Computer>Properties>Computer Name tab) but the "main" computer is not listed as part of the group. Is this right?

Also, cannot change the computer description (again see right-click My Computer>Properties>Computer Name tab) for the main computer - simply won't let my type in the box - but can do this for the other computers.

Also, on main computer, when clicking My Network Places can immediately see the shared docs folders on the other 3 computers but not the main computer. Is this right?

Also, on main computer cannot change file sharing on the Documents folder (My Computer>right click the Documents folder>select Sharing and Security>Sharing tab>Networking sharing and security section).

Also, can't see "main" computer from the other 3 computers.

So, not sure network is set up and working properly. Unclear why main computer doesn't show in workgroup. Don't understand why there isn't some sort of central place/icon that shows my network of all 4 computers. How can I tell if file sharing is set up correctly?

I know it's a lot - sorry - but would like to get it straight.

Thanks.

Forgot to add that am running PC Tools Firewall Plus on all computers.

2. krekerohan

krekerohan Private E-2

Have been reading numerous network threads. Many seem to address some of my problems, but not all, and solutions appear extremenly technical. A couple of things I have noticed - I do not have simple file sharing option in My Computer>Tools>Folder Options>View tab - it's not listed in the advanced options list at all. Also, cannot change computer description (right click My Computer>Computer Name tab>Computer description box - it is currently blank but will not let me type anything there at all. Also, suspect firewall may be causing some problems. Ran Network Wizard on all computers with fw and av disabled, but when fw turned back on could not ping other computers in any direction. Running PC Tools Firewall Plus (yes, Win FW is turned off) - can anybody tell me how to add rule that allows traffic between range of IP addresses?

3. krekerohan

krekerohan Private E-2

...and does Network Magic (free) really work? Should I even attempt it given the problems I've had with adding a description to the main (host) computer in my network and that the computer won't show up in the network tree?

4. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

Have you checked:

you can ping by name or just IP address? All computers ping all others successfully by name?
    all computers are in the same workgroup?
    all are using the same subnet mask?
    all have a different name to each other?
    IP addresses aren't in conflict?
    (I doubt the last two would be part of the problem.)
    Have you any shares on the main computer, even if it's just one file or folder? (If you haven't, this may be keeping your main computer from showing up.)
    Have you remembered to give security permissions to the other computers and set up users to allow access to your computer? (can't remember if that's relevant in XP Home or not - I don't think the security tab would be available because of the simple file sharing.)
    Have you mistakenly set up Internet Connection Sharing instead of File Sharing? Something of that kind might stop you being able to change the computer name.
    Start - Run - cmd and then type ipconfig/all - is there a name opposite Host? (You may need to scroll up again.)

Simple File sharing is the only option in Home so you don't have anywhere to turn it on or off. That instruction would have only applied to XP Pro.

Allowing machines to communicate through a firewall usually involves adding a range of IP addresses or individual ones to your "trusted" or safe zone. Check the help for your firewall and it should give you instructions.

If it's this one you're talking about, http://www.majorgeeks.com/Network_Magic_Basic_d5305.html, it has the work Pick next to it in the list so I assume it must be pretty reasonable. Software listed at Major Geeks has to pass approval before it gets listed. It might pay to check as much as you can first though, in case it's just some little mistake.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds