Computer battery show it charged, but computer wont run on it.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by skin flint, Apr 22, 2010.

1. skin flint

skin flint Private E-2

Hello!

The battery for my tablet computer (ViewSonic V1100) sits at 94% charged, but the moment I remove the AC adapter, it will turn off. Ran fine one morning, but the moment I get home, It refuses to turn on unless plugged it. I removed all of the various cards and extras from the unit, and even took out the RAM and let it sit for a couple of hours. I also left it running overnight turned on. Still the moment I unplugged the AC, it wet right off.

I was able to hook a meter to the battery, and there is still a charge in it.

The unit has not been dropped at all, and I cant seem to find anything physically wrong with it.

So is there any insight/suggestions anyone can give me on this?

Thanks for any help you can give.

2. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

I assume when you say unplug it, I assume you are pulling the jack out of the computer? Just to eliminate another possible problem, does it also immediately turn off if you leave the jack plugged into the machine and unplug the adapter from the wall socket?

3. skin_flint

skin_flint Private E-2

Yep. Either way it still looses power and turns off.

4. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Skin,

The condition you describe is one possible failure mode of the battery. A high impedance (Digital etc.) voltmeter will show a near correct voltage but does not load the battery enough to give a real reading. A fully charged good battery, for example 9.6 volts, should give a reading of at least 10.4 V. If run down completely that bad batt will probably show full charge a few seconds after putting it on charge. It will almost start the comp but dies about 1 second later. This may not be what is wrong with your battery but is a good possibliity?

Good Luck, Jim

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds