Right click button on touchpad not working??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jax07001, May 12, 2009.

1. jax07001

jax07001 Private E-2

Just recently observed that the right-click button on my touchpad is not working. This just happened today. I have a Sony Vaio VGN-NR280E laptop and am using Vista. I've checked the device manger, drivers are up to date, no yellow exclamation marks.

Here is what I've tried:

- reinstalled Original Alps Driver and restarted
    - reinstalled Original Alps Driver a second time using Windows Back up and Recover
    - made sure the mouse settings in Control Panel were correct

I think it could possibly be a hardware issue as pressing the right click key is not responding or opening any options, however, I haven't spilled anything on it or dropped it. My last option is to ship it off to Sony but my warranty expired a few months ago, and I looked at the price list and it is crazy expensive.

Please help! :confused

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Get canned air and put the laptop partially opened on its side with the right side toward the desktop. Use the canned air to clean out the "clicker" Something may have gotten wedged under the right side.
    Your other option, and one I'd tend to not consider doing myself, is find a schematic and take the laptop apart.

For me, I just attach a portable notebook mouse and use it. Mine is 3 1/4" in length and the USB receiver fits inside the mouse so it isn't a hardship to throw that in the case with my netbook.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds