BootSkin is Horrid

Discussion in 'Software' started by KilJaden, Sep 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KilJaden

KilJaden Private E-2

I come to this site a lot and I have trusted the programs I find here. Well, not any more. I loaded the BootSkin program last night and selected a skin to try out. After that I restarted the computer to see what it looked like. Well it looked like it was supposed to but it will not load windows. A blue screen flashes and then the computer restarts, leaving me in a cycle of death and decay. Safe mode doesnt work. NOTHING DOES. I had (and still am having) to pull my files to another HDD. Which is no easy task if you have ever had to change ownership of files from a diff load.

Bottom line is: DO NOT DL BOOTSKIN!

2. fiver22

fiver22 Sergeant

I'm sure an admin. will look into this but I must say that the site admins have said they test everything that is on MGs and I believe them -perhaps your problem lies in some specific configuration you have? -or, more likely: a pre-existing problem that you were unaware of.
    If, I'm wrong and it really is the proggies fault then I'm sure that someone will remove it asap -but really: watch your tone -a few people (the site Admins.) work really hard to make MGs work...you should respect that.
    -Yours,

Last edited: Sep 25, 2004
  3. KilJaden

KilJaden Private E-2

I come to this site everyday. I check the latest and greatest programs here, and will continue to do so. I work in a computer repair shop and I check out these programs to use on the computers here. I have no specific configuration. Its really a problem with the software, or the specific 'skin' I choose. I was just, more than anything, bringing it to ALL of your attention.
    I still love the site dude.

4. fiver22

fiver22 Sergeant

Noted, and I'm sure that if is really a problem with the software that someone will pull it. -Have you messaged an admin to look into this?

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

We probably could have helped you...but too late now.

6. KilJaden

KilJaden Private E-2

Im not really sure what that means... but ok. I didnt know how to go about telling the 'admins' about this; so I just posted it here. I thought you would all like to know what it could do to your PCs.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

It means that wiping out your drive and starting over seems hasty.

There are alternatives, most of the time.

8. KilJaden

KilJaden Private E-2

Tried the 'other' methods of saving windows... didnt work. I even went so far as to do a full reload over top: SAME PROBLEM!

Just dont DL the program.

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Very ambigious statment.. what doesnt work for one ( you ) may work well for someone else!

I have run this app with no issues what so ever, with installing any software there comes a risk of a failure.. that is why system restore and clone/images/backups are advised.

10. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

I agree, that is one reason this forum is so popular, it can usually be fixed. Have a look at this thread, it's a little long but gets the problem solved.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=38766&highlight=bootskin

Steve

11. GNigma

GNigma Private E-2

I installed BootSkin once, after reboot I got a BSOD. Good thing that I could boot in safemode and uninstall BootSkin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds