xp opening page freezes up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by officesupplier, May 2, 2005.

1. officesupplier

officesupplier Private E-2

We are a small one-computer business, and are about to go "live" where customers can order from us over the internet. We have been working with our ASP on getting this started, meaning downloading .net framework 1.1, a print manager, etc. We shut our computer down every night, and during the week we have no problem the next morning on starting back up. HOWEVER, after being off over the weekend (only one extra stinking day), the XP opening page freezes up (the three little blue cursors go left to right for a few times, then just stop). Here is some more background:

emachine w/ celeron 633
    windows XP pro

Needed a second printer, so I installed a second parallel port. As this was running through the wizard and installing, a window tells me that this piece has not passed (or been subjected to, don't quite remember the exact verbage) windows xp logo testing!!??? Continued anyway, and everything seemd to work fine.

As stated, the past two Mondays, I have had to use system restore to get back up and running. Ironically, it seems that I have had to back up to a day before the new port was installed. Could that "logo testing" bit be that much of a problem?? Also, just in case, as I restored this morning, a windows update prompted me. Part of what downloaded was a .net framework 1.1 update. Did it sense something out of whack and maybe it is now fixed??

Problem is, I don't guess that I will know for sure until next Monday. UNLESS, someone here recognizes the problem and can tell me what to do beforehand. Can I post a log or something? Hope I provided enough info. Thanks!!!!

Dave

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

A few things to try are Uninstalling the second parallel printer and seeing if that resolves the problem. ( is the printer and drivers compatable with XP.. check for newer drivers at manufacturers website )

Booting into Safe Mode and seeing if it loads.

3. officesupplier

officesupplier Private E-2

I was just about thinking on that line already, I may uninstall it Friday and see what happens Monday. The box states that it is compatible with XP, and I have been able to finish loading in safe mode. Thanks for the reply!!!

Dave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds