update.microsoft.com doesn't work

Discussion in 'Software' started by NAS, Dec 7, 2006.

1. NAS

NAS Private E-2

After reformatting my computer, there was no problem to download and install the first 70 or so updates. However, the website doesn't work for me now. I know there are a dozen updates of hardware or software that I still need to get, but the website keeps checking for the ones I need, without producing the list.

When it had produced a list previously, I downloaded them, but they stalled upon installation despite reboots, emptying %temp% files, selective start-up.
    Is there a place on c: where I could access the downloads, and manually install them?

I followed MS directions for troubleshooting the problem, and even tried the automatic fix that's supposed to work while I watch, but that didn't work, either.

SpyCatcher "Stopped spyware 'Tagasaurus' from running"
    in file c:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
    After researching, I'm not sure if it's really spyware or something useful (part of Intel). Would this have anything to do with the update site's performance and my installation problem?

How can I get the updates to install?

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

OK.

This is a fresh install of what? XP? Then there should be 80+ updates.

Anyway, are ye using windows update, or microsoft udpate?

In addition, what exact error are ye getting?

3. coldcell

coldcell Private First Class

Is there a Service Pack 2 updater that I can straight download and install?

I'm on SP1 and though I already turned on automatic updates and still SP1 though numerous updates have been installed.

4. NAS

NAS Private E-2

I clicked spell check, and when I was to download the spell checker, everything I just typed was erased. Aaugh. Once again:

Sorry for my omissions: I'm running XP Pro SP2 on a Dell Dimension 4700.

Accordng to my update history at http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us
    there are 12 updates that failed. They are optional or recommended, not critical, but they have been necessary for my system (e.g. driver updates)
    I have made the update site "trusted" in my firewall, but that didn't help.

The error message I get when MS Update does not return the list of remaining updates to install is:

<<
    [Error number: 0x80072EFD]
    The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.
    For self-help options:
    Frequently Asked Questions
    Find Solutions
    Windows Update Newsgroup
    For assisted support options:
    Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues)
    Read more about steps you can take to resolve this problem (error number 0x80072EFD) yourself.
    >>

For the downloaded but failed updates, the error message is
    <<
    Installation Failure

Error Code: 0x800706BA
    Try to install the update again, or request help from one of the following resources.
    For self-help options:
    Frequently Asked Questions
    Find Solutions
    Windows Update Newsgroup
    For assisted support options:
    Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for issues related to getting updates)
    >>

I have tried the updates 5 times without success. Online Assisted Support doesn't work.
    A year or so ago, a similar problem was solved by askdrtech.com in a screen sharing session, where the windows installer was replaced. They don't have a solution for me this time, and when I went to MS to download a windows installer package (in case mine is corrupt), it wouldn't install because the one I have is newer.

I've been troubleshooting, reinstalling, and more troubleshooting since November.

Thanks for your help. Is there any other information you need?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds