Office 2010 disappeared after Malware removal

Discussion in 'Software' started by pathfinder69692006, Apr 10, 2011.

1. pathfinder69692006

pathfinder69692006 Private E-2

I've got one for guys more computer savvy than I am and don't know where else to post this, so I'll start here and see what happens. I got some malware that caused me to go through the Win 7 Recovery Console which walked me through a complete reinstall of my operating system. The computer is an HP desktop my wife bought in January this year and it had Office 2010 pre-installed (of course, nobody issues installation disks anymore), which I have used for since January. It wasn't a starter kit, it wasn't a trial offer - it was a full version of Office 2010. When I recovered my OS, a lot changed. I lost my Office 2010 and it was replaced with the starter version so I called HP tech support. Some dude in India tried to argue with me that I originally must have had a trial version and he couldn't help me recover my Office 2010. He said the retail store (Best Buy) must have installed Office 2010 to sell the computer. Best Buy said they don't do that and that HP must have installed it. I called Microsoft who said pretty much the same thing. Bottom line: everybody wants to insist I had a trial version, which I didn't; or they want to claim it was the starter version, which it wasn't. How the hell do I get my full version back without having to fork over another two hundred bucks to Bill Gates when we already had the full version of 2010? Message me at <snip>

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2011
  2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Re: "What to try" lists for various issues

Pathfinder i have never heard of a full version of office coming unless you had your computer built localy, but anyhow, you need to start your own thread to address your issues.

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

Actually it is not bill gates anymore. But, do you have a receipt for the full purchase of office 2010? Typically, HP or any other OEM does NOT give out a full version. They give a trial. You accept and pay for the full version, and then you get a key to unlock it.

4. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi pathfinder69692006,
    I'm sorry but there is no way of you retrieving the full retail copy of office 2010 :(. Unless you have paperwork to prove it was installed when bought.
    There is how-ever another program that is very similar called Open Office that is FREE!!! why pay Bill Gates £/$100+ for "out look express" as I'm sure that's the only program that's missing off Open Office. Take a look here....

http://www.openoffice.org/

Hope this is of some help.

iain.t :major

5. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

SORRY TO ADMIN!! I should of put the link for Open Office from here,though did not know that it was an available download.

http://majorgeeks.com/OpenOffice.org_For_Windows_d3461.html

iain.t :major

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If you had a full version, you had a key.
    I make it a point to write down the keys of any software I buy.
    You can change the trial software, which your restored computer reverted to, to a full version by entering the serial number.

If you never wrote it down, then you are indeed out of luck and either have to buy another key for the full version or find a free version of a compatible office suite like Open Office or LibreOffice.
    http://www.libreoffice.org/

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds