Looking for a program to get rid of unwanted background processes...

Discussion in 'Software' started by LoneGreyWolf20, Mar 21, 2004.

1. LoneGreyWolf20

LoneGreyWolf20 Private First Class

I am looking to find a freeware program to get rid of unwanted processes in the background. Today all of a sudden things are running slow when trying to bring screens up eg; double clicking on my computer and there being a longer delay then usual. I just defragged the hardrive so I know it isn't from that. I am a little suspicious of unwanted background programs because I ran ad-aware a few days ago and had 12, but now I have 15 and have no clue what they are. Doing a ctrl-alt-del doesn't bring them up and only brings up teh ones that I do want running. I have run a virus scan as well and nothing was turned up. So if anyone knows of a freeware program to show me and allow me to get rid of unwanted background programs I would greatly appreciate it!

LoneGreyWolf20

2. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

Hi Lone Wolf
    What operating system are you using

3. LoneGreyWolf20

LoneGreyWolf20 Private First Class

Sorry I am running Windows 98SE, I have a 80 gb Hardrive, not even a 1/4 full yet, 512 Mbs of DDR ram and anything else you need to know just let me know :)

LoneGreyWolf20

4. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

I see you use Ad-Aware might i also suggest getting Spybot here
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2471.html

Not only is it a good spyware removal tool, if you use the advanced mode theres some handy tools there to manage whats currently running
    Theres also a handy start-up manager so you can work out whats starting with Windows
    Heres a good site to cross reference with, and you can then decide if you need this starting everytime or not
    http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

unwanted background processes

Check out http://members.lycos.co.uk/codestuff/download.shtml for Starter v5.6.1.38, latest version, or google it. I have downloaded it just now but not installed it. I run a slightly earlier version and am happy with it. Starter beats the hell out of Ctrl-Alt-Del 3 fingered salute, and MSCONFIG to tell you what is going on on your PC. Don't worry if there may be multiple instances of the same process shown, but they are OK as they are generated from different happenings, see far right under Section. You can unflag any entry by unchecking it or delete it entirely, the choice is yours. Baz

=========================================

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds