Why are videos not playing?

Discussion in 'Software' started by severios, Mar 10, 2005.

1. severios

severios Private E-2

I used to be able to watch video from cbsnews.com but now nothing happens when I attempt to play them. This has happened on other sites as well. Is there a way for me to restore defaults or do something more specific to fix the problem?

severios@yahoo.com

2. TheSaintOfPain

TheSaintOfPain Private First Class

It depends on what browser you're using, and what your default media player is. If your default media player is something other than Windows Media Player (Should be updated to 11 by now), then that can cause that particular problem with most browsers in general, as browsers like Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer use Windows Media Player on most sites. The problem could also be a lack of a certain media player, like QuickTime or RealPlayer. It seems that CBSNEWS.COM uses RealPlayer as it's video format, so if you don't have RealPlayer, those videos won't play. Your best bet is this: Download & install any of the media players-Windows Media Player, QuickTime, and RealPlayer-that you may not have. This should solve the problem.
    Also, you'll want to make sure you have the latest version of whatever browser you're using. If you don't have the current version, even if you have all the updated video players, this can cause them to not work properly in the browser. Hope this fixes your problem.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds