Post Message "System Failed CPU Test"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SurleyTech, Jun 29, 2006.

1. SurleyTech

SurleyTech Private E-2

Hi
    I am having a problem with my PC. I have had it for about 3 years now and of late it had been really running slow. a couple of weeks ago i got a message "System Failed CPU test" during the post. I should note here that I have an ASUS P4S8X motherboard that had a voice post instead of the regular beeps. I consulted my manual for the motherboard and it suggested that 1) the CPU was not seated properly. 2) There was no CPU in the machine. Since the computer had been working I knew there was a cpu there, since the computer had not moved in like 4 months I figured that it was seated properly.
    I went out and got myself another CPU and just got it installed. When Ii powered up my computer again it gave me the same voice error message. "system failed CPU test." Any other ideas what might be causing the error?
    Thanks for any help.

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Is it overclocked? Back it off.

Try resetting the cmos.

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

4. SurleyTech

SurleyTech Private E-2

I tried Resetting the CMOS and I still get the same post Error. I dont think that the system had been overclocked but I replaced the old P4 1.7GHZ with a P4 2.4GHZ. "System Faild CPU Test"

5. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Can the board handle the new processor? The P4 1.7 is probably a 400. The P4 2.4 could be higher, 533 possibly an 800, not sure.

I had a P4 1.5. The board, after a bios upgrade was then able to handle a P4 2.6.

That was bogus. Spent a lot of money ruling out why the P4 2.6 would reboot randomly. Replaced the board & haven't had a problem since.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds