Happy Hunting

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Paxton007, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Paxton007

Paxton007 MajorGeek

It's Deer season in PA. Wondered how everyone did. We pulled a few out of the woods. This one's mine. She wasn't the biggest in the woods, but I'm an army of one, make haste, not waste. Pulled the trigger before the sun was up all the way. :major

Attached Files:

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Some good eats there Pax.:yum I didn't know that PA allowed doe hunting. You must be overrun by them.

3. Paxton007

Paxton007 MajorGeek

I love me some deer meet. Even keep the heart & tongues to eat. When I was younger, we had a 2 week buck season, and a 3 day doe season. They both run at the same time now though, 2 weeks each. It makes it more fun I think. You have to pay extra for a doe license, but when you have one, you can shoot anything on the first day really. For a buck license, I believe they have to be half of a 6 point, not just a 3 point. We usually see them a little bigger than that though. Dad shot a monster yesterday. I won't post it though, he had to take a head shot. It's not Kennedy graphic, but can still do without it.

4. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Nice one Pax! Very :yum eating! Hey, ya can't eat the horns anyway! Hubby hunted in PA MANY years ago. He enjoyed it a lot.. He got a nice buck there :)

I got an 8 point during our firearm season in Nov.. You and hubby would get along REAL good! He likes the Heart, Liver & Tongue as well, NOT me!:p You and him could have a feast with your hearts and :p & Livers!:yum

I just like the tenderloins, and cube steak:drool:-D

CONGRATS! :celebrate :wine

5. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

ORANGE ! ! !

:-D

Nice shooting,can I see the weapon pwwwease?

6. Paxton007

Paxton007 MajorGeek

On my facebook, around noon I used my cell phone to update my status. I said "I just saw an orange deer!!! Pretty sure I missed." lol everyone loved it, of course it was a joke.

I have a Ruger M77 .270 Winchester for deer hunting, I'll get a pic of it before the season is out. Looked at google, the pics there are small. I also, by chance had my AK-47 and 200 rounds in the truck, but you're not allowed to use them here, so that's where it stayed, no scope anyhow. I swear, that's the only gun you can take to a range, shoot all day, never hit anything & leave with a smile on your face.

TeeCee: you'll have to ask your husband about the liver, I heard you have to prepare them in some way, deveining or something. I've been leaving them in the woods. If that's not the case, they're coming with me from now on. :cool

7. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hi Pax! We ate them downstate, and the one from PA was also good. He said as long as they are nice and red, go for it. :drool Yeah, darn good eating too :yum He also said, you don't know what you are missing!! LOL

Here, tho, they have "flukes" so ours aren't good to eat. I enjoyed the liver, fried with onions.. LOTS of onions! But not the heart or tongue...

Yup, we have the ORANGE here too.. ;)

8. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Hi there PAX haven't seen you on here for a while, but as for the pic, i started thinking of Bambi :cry:cry still a good shot though :-D hope you have an oven big enough to cook it in ;) !

9. Heyyou

Heyyou Private E-2

Here in NY for the last few years the deer has to have 3 points on one side to shoot it. That's not easy. In all my years hunting I only shot one buck that was an 8 pointer. The rest were anything from does, button bucks or spikes and 4 pointers. My motto is, if its brown it's down. :)

10. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

I see you are finding your way around pretty good, "Heyyou" ;)

There are some areas here in Michigan that are "Trophy-only" or if you purchase a "Combo" license, your first buck can be any point, but your second has to have 4 points or better on one side.. Personally, I haven't found any way to tenderize those horns anyway! LOL

PS: Rusty: we don't shoot Bambi anyway! LOL

11. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Thank the lord for that then TeeCee, i was :cry:cry:cry buckets and praying it wasn't ! LOL

12. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Oh, Rusty, you can rest assured, we don't shoot Bambi! They are way too cute ;) We take the old cantankerous ones! LOL

13. augiedoggie

:-d :-d :d Hmm, so much for some smilies.???:confused

14. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I think it's because you used the lower case 'd', augie. ;)

I never used to be a supporter of hunting until I owned my own place and they started eating everything I planted. Now, I'm pretty sure I'd invite people to come hunt for them in my yard. :-D

I do not like venison though, way too gamy tasting. Nice job though, pax.

As far as hunting in PA....we are overrun with deer. The population is out of control. I'm actually surprised they don't allow it for longer.

15. augiedoggie

Nope Laura, used the smilie list. :):-D What!!!!???? Now it works!rolleyes Sorry.:)

16. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

roflmao...or maybe someone is messing with you.

:-D

17. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hi Laura, there is a trick to getting that "gamy" taste out of venison.. I also use it with bear. Eat both, and they are both very good.. ;) Augie, I think you are messing with us LOL

18. Paxton007

Paxton007 MajorGeek

Rikky, as per your request, here is a picture of my 270. I threw the AK in, because I didn't want it to be jealous. Last thing I need is to be home alone with an angry assault rifle. LOL

I bought bullets for the 270 that supposedly had more power than normal bullets. More grains or whatever. Anyhow, they did seem to hit harder than the bullets from previous years.

I hear they're thinking of legalizing semi-automatic rifles for deer season in PA. I don't know if it's true or not, but I don't think I would hunt with my AK-47, no matter the legality. As fast as you can put lead on a dear with a bolt action, semi-automatic would just be terrifying, for everything around.

Attached Files:

19. Rikky

Cool thanks:)You can see my little collection in my profile albums,I only have an air rifle due to the laws here,I could get real rifle but i have to find somewhere to use it,apply to shoot on the land,then apply for a license,I don't have criminal record "Amazingly." :-D then its just a case of finding 3 witnesses to say I'm sane :-D Too much trouble ATM but I'll prolly get round to it soon.

EDIT Oh yeah A police officer also has to come round to your house to see where your storing the weapon over here also.

20. Weathermann

Weathermann Private First Class

Big buck

Brother got himself a buck on opening day here in Michigan. :cool

21. Heyyou

Heyyou Private E-2

I hope all you NRA haters in the USA read that. That's what it's like when they take your guns away.

22. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Heyyou, even us gals have guns, and we know how to shoot too;)

23. Heyyou

Heyyou Private E-2

You betcha! As Charlton Heston said, "from my cold dead hands". :guns

24. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Did I mention, I don't miss? :-D I use a Lever action 30/30 ;)

25. Heyyou

Heyyou Private E-2

Mine's a .308 lever action with a 3x9 scope. Sometimes I shoot a little low and to the left. ;)

26. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Why not just zero the scope in???? It makes it a lot easier to hit what you are aiming at:-D Mine is a lever action 30/30 , with a 4X40 Tasco. Very nice.
    Zero that scope in, and you won't have to do math to hit your target.......;)

27. Heyyou

Heyyou Private E-2

It isn't the scope it's my 70 year old eyes. What math?

28. Rikky

They haven't taken our guns away its just a PITA to get one,as it should be really were not America,there isn't lots of land,big wide open spaces,shooting ranges and we don't have big back gardens either.

We're only a tiny Island 'smaller than the state of Michigan' with 61 million people,a stray shot from a 30-6 would end up hitting someone its almost guaranteed.

If you want a gun or need a gun and have somewhere to shoot it, it isn't any harder than opening a bank account really.

29. Heyyou

Heyyou Private E-2

I think I'm correct that your Bobby's (cops) don't carry pistols right?

30. Paxton007

Paxton007 MajorGeek

There are to many armed Americans for anyone to take our guns.

31. Heyyou

Heyyou Private E-2

If they have a record of the sale, they would be able to get your gun. Or else.
    Only illegally obtained guns would be safe.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds