fan running more

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by peterr, Jul 26, 2012.

1. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hello
    I have Win 7 x 64, i5, 650 GB, 2.53 GHz.

The fan in my Dell Inspiron 15R N5010, is running a little more often than it used to.
    It also feels a little warmer than before.

I looked at task manager>processes and there are three MSIE 9's running one at approximately 60K the second at 40K and the last at 7K.

Toaster.exe and WLtray.exe are about 13K each.

Could any of these be the reason for the heat and fan running alot?

Thank you

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Peter

Not unless in Task Manager the CPU % they are using is very high.

I would give the air vents of the laptop a clean out a vaccum cleaner is ok for this (with Laptop off) and also what are the room temps you are having at present, as a warm room can add to high internal temps of a PC/Laptop and cause the fans to run quicker, I know mine are running a bit quicker today as its humid here with temp of 24c

Can use Speedfan to monitor temps,

3. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hi D
    Gr 8 t reply.
    The heat and humidity has been very high. I am on vacation in New England as I mentioned and the ac is usually on in the host's home.
    The vents are never occluded here or home.
    I occasionally use compressed air but not to hurt the fans.
    I will give the air vents a quick touch with the vac with the pc off. I clicked on cpu and nothing was excessive.
    I was hesitant to use the download because it seemed to imply I had to do something manually unless I misread it. It was something I was not sure of.
    Thank you again for your help.
    Which event are you participating over there, pc toss?:wave

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Peter

Good stuff and I know you keep your PCs in tip top condition always so its just going to be the climate you are in at present adding to the fan speed increase.

No I dont think you may need Speedfan from what you say as when home your temps will be ok again.

Me as for event, beer swilling ;)

Say hi to S for me.

5. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>Now you are talking -Sharon is cheering you on.
    P

6. jimrich

jimrich Private E-2

Del dimension 3000. My fan has been running heavy for a while showing temps like 120 F so I removed the side panel and am using a little fan off to one side but blowing at the CPU heatsink. Now the temp is staying around 105 F. I wish I knew why it's running so hard and hot but happy that the little extra fan helps to keep the temp down.
    Jim

7. jimrich

jimrich Private E-2

To anyone interested....
    The CPU fan is running real quite now (CPU is at about 103 F). In addition to setting a little fan next to the open side panel of the tower, blowing in on the CPU heat sink and inner works, I hung my Toshiba ext. HD in the fan's air stream on the outside of the Dell tower in back. The Toshiba was showing extremely high heat readings with a Hardware Monitor utility but now the utility doesn't read the ext. HD at all! I am wondering if my computer fan was responding to both the CPU heat AND the Toshiba ext. HD heat and attempting to cool off both - even though the Toshiba HD was outside the computer's tower?!? Not being as technically advanced as most of you at Major Geeks, I have no idea what my computer is or was trying to do but the CPU fan is hardly working at all now!
    Weird huh??? ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds