Unable to boot in safe mode and unable to access in normal mode [Windows XP]

Discussion in 'Software' started by Flowerpoddess, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Flowerpoddess

Flowerpoddess Private E-2

My computer was affected by several viruses and I used Combofix to try correct the problem however because I'm not using a legit copy, I used to gain access back into my desktop through safe mode AntiWPA patching but I'm not able to get into Safe Mode anymore.

I try to log in the three safe modes available but it just loads everything and restarts the computer.

When, I'm at the Windows XP normal startup, I get a popup stating:

"Windows Product Activation"

This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log on.
    Do you want to activate Windows now?

Yes No"

I don't have a Windows bootable CD for to get into recovery console and I'm not sure if the recovery console will help me to get into the safe mode so I can change the registry or patch the OS again.

Please help, I've got important data that I don't want to lose.
    Flowerpoddess

2. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

It looks like MS caught up with you. I doubt if anybody at a pc help forum is going to tell you how to get an illegal version of Windows up and running again. From a legit standpoint, you'll have to purchase Windows and use the serial number that comes with it.

3. Flowerpoddess

Okay, thank you Denise.

Flowerpoddess

4. Flowerpoddess

I have another computer that supposedly has OEM Windows XP installed in it. That computer can't be used at all, it doesn't go to desktop though. It don't have a recovery CD but it has license key, where can I get the CD to fix that computer?

Flowerpoddess

5. iwunderdownunder

iwunderdownunder First Sergeant

with the computer that wont boot to the desktop try at power on and at the flash screen that's the first screen you will see when you turn the power on start rapidly pressing the F8 and see if you can get to the advanced options.if you can get into the advanced options try the LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION setting and see if that will bring up the desk top.
    also if you could give us some more information on what brand and model the computer is we may be able to help you more as some brands of computers have a inbuilt recovery partition that will restore it back to factory condition.

6. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

A route available for removing data from your HDD is booting from a Linux Live CD. The Linux Live CD will also allow use of GParted which can also check/fix o/s errors.

Of course you could also try to remove the drive from the pc and connect it via a USB2 to sata/ide connector.

Good Luck

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Some manufacturers will sell you the recovery disks.
    You might also look somewhere for an OEM copy of XP, buy it and do a clean install using the key on the side of the computer.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds