USB Wireless disconnecting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by altnetid, Oct 28, 2012.

1. altnetid

altnetid Private E-2

Hi

My USB Belkin Wireless G Network Adapter seems to disconnect whenever I remove another USB device (usually a memory stick) from the PC.

The problem started when I accidentally updated the driver via Windows. It didn't seem to work at all with this updated driver and I couldn't roll back or do a system restore to fix it. I'd done this before and ended up doing a complete re-install of Win 7. This time I did an upgrade install and the driver problem was cured.

I'm running a HP XW8400 with Win 7 64 Pro which has been faultless for the 5 years I've had it.

The only other change I've made recently is that I've stopped using a D-Link USB hub and started using the USB connectors on the HP LP2465 monitor.

This only affects the wireless and no other USB devices.

When it disconnects, Win troubleshooting goes through the motions and reverts to LAN and doesn't see the wireless USB at all. This also happens if I don't use the troubleshooter.

Device manager shows the driver to be working, but the wireless USB doesn't function even if I connect it directly to a USB port.

The router is still working as all other devices in the house are connected.

The only way around it seems to be a re-boot, but when this fault happens the PC gets stuck at "Shutting Down". Without the fault, re-boot or shut down works fine.

When it happens I have to power off and on. This usually works fine but evry now and then I notice the device driver for the Belkin is disabled.

I hope that's not too long! I wanted to give as much info as possible as it's driving me insane.

Thanks

2. altnetid

altnetid Private E-2

I found a temporary workaround by unplugging the wireless USB adapter before plugging or unplugging any other USB device.
    Then plug the Belkin back in after I've finished.
    That seems to work. :confused

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds