DVDRAM unable to read blank discs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nass, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Nass

Nass Private E-2

Hello, I have an HP Pavilion dv5117d Notebook PC with a HL DT ST DVDRAM GSA4084N drive. I can put dvds and discs in and it'll read them, but if I put in a blank disc to burn music, none of my burning apps can see I have a disc, nor a drive. In My Computer it always has the drive showing, and says 'device working properly'. I can't find any info on drivers or anything for this drive on the hp website. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

2. luggnutt

luggnutt Private E-2

I have the same model. Your laptop should have come loaded with Sonic, a cd/dvd burning software. Try that.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Give this Guide a go as while your drive does show up in Explorer and My Computer, the fix can also help when the drive is not seen in other applications, mainly burning apps adn the cause is a corrupted upper/lower filter driver.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You do know that you can't burn DVDs in a DVDRAM drive, only CDs.

I can't find your model, probably because I'm in the US so I'm limited to what is shown; no dv5117 models end in d so I was unable to check the hardware specs to be sure you had a CD burner and a DVD player.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds