CD drive/ hard drive problems on installation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by the mitchell, Apr 3, 2005.

1. the mitchell

the mitchell Private E-2

Hi there go easy on me im a newb. :S
    right basically i bought a brand spanking new maxtor 160 gig harddrive this week to add to the space i already have (a 10gig western digital caviar whajamajobby). I installed the hard drive as a slave and turned my old hard drive from cable select to master and my cd drive is currently on cable select although i also tried it as a master. at first my cd drive was fine. until i formatted the hard drive in windows and when i rebooted all of a sudden my cd drive was gone. i went to my computer > manage and it says the cd-rw drivers cannot be loaded (err 31 [iirc]) i tried updating the drivers which didnt work so then i tried uninstalling them and reinstalling them. once again it didnt work.

When i go into the bios i get this about my IDE connections:

primary 0: hard drive
    primary 1: hard drive
    secondary 0: cd reading device
    secondary 1: off

primary 0 & 1 and secondary 0 i set to auto in the bios and so everything seems normal in there too. when i looked in computer management though i noticed that in the properties for my hard drives etc there is a location bit.

my old hard drive is set to location 0 (0)
    my new one is set to location 1 (1)
    and my cd drive is set to 0 (0)
    so far this is the only thing i can see that may be a problem. it looks like my computer thinks that both my old hard drive and cd drive seem to be trying to use the same connection.

if anyone could please give me a little help as to what the problem may be i would hugely appreciate it.ive been tearing my hair out for the last 2 days trying to work out whats going on.

2. BillD

BillD Private First Class

What configuration do you have in terms of the placemnt of the drives on the respective cables? Assuming that drive 0 is primary master , is the burner secondary master? I believe the ideal scenario would be Primary channel , drive 0 (boot drive), primary slave (cd-rom), secondary channel, secondary master,CD-RW, secondary slave HDD. I have found that this seldom is practical since the cables don't usually reach, so the two HDDs would be on the primary, and the 2 optical drives would be on the secondary. I would try a different cable if the problem persists. It does appear that the cd rom is trying to use the same designation as the boot drive. Perhaps you can manuallyset the number of the cd to 2.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds