Zone Alarm won't update?

Discussion in 'Software' started by comperroruter, Nov 22, 2005.

1. comperroruter

comperroruter Darth Meatloaf

Hey all,

I noticed the update on the home page so I went into Zone Alarm and checked for updates. It found the update but when I click telling it to update, it does nothing. Any recommendations. I am on dial-up so that idea of downloading the entire new version is not appealing to me.

Thanks!!:)

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

When downloading the update, you will be downloading the entire program anyway. That is how ZA works (and most other products as well).

I'd just go ahead and download it anyway, shouldn't take more than 30+ minutes. I do remember the dial-up days. Downloading something that is 100+ megabytes, then go to bed. Wake up, and if I'm lucky it is done. :)

3. Orbital57

Orbital57 Private First Class

I had the same problem last night. I believe that the error message when you try to run the file was 'this is not a valid system 32 file'.

My plan for tonight is to download the whole program from scratch pretending to be a new user and hopefully avoid the upgrade page in case it's a fault in the installer program there (course, by now they've probably fixed it).

4. SgtRon

SgtRon Private First Class

Interesting timing. Just a few minutes ago, my ZA gave me a pop-up saying there was a new update available. All I had to do was click on that and it took me to the download which started immediately and went off without a hitch. Yes, I too remember the dial-up days! In this case the installation took longer than the download. I agree that your only choice is probably to download the upograde version. Good luck!
    SgtRon

"Nothing, but NOTHING, is as it seems!"

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

6. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I just downloaded the new version on dialup. Best way to do it is to use a download manager like Leechget and start the download as the last thing you want to do on an Internet session.

Leechget will monitor the download and allow you to restart (from where you got to), if the download crashes for any reason.

Running it last of all, allows you to do something else at the same time, away from your PC.

Leechget is available from MG, free.
    Leechget. www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1821
    The one I use. Free from adware, malware, spyware, etc.

Bazza

7. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

You shouldn't have any issues with the latest version of ZA, at least I haven't.

As far as Leechget is concerned, you can't schedule more than 1 download unless you pay for the Premium version.

What's the point of a download manager if you can't schedule and retain downloads for later?

I prefer DAP, it may have ads (small and harmless as they are), but at least it's fully functional.

8. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

True, Insomniac, but I am on dialup and only download one file at a time. I will never leave my PC on and unattended. Just my personal choice. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds