Windows XP Add/Remove Programs Tool Does Not Load

Discussion in 'Software' started by shannytay, Jul 23, 2006.

1. shannytay

shannytay Private E-2

I can not get the add remove option to load programs..it just says please wait while the list is being populated. Also windows xp is taking about 3 mins to load. Can anyone give me a little help?
    Thanks,
    Shannon

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Shannon

Try this option first as its a easiest of the fixes for this type of problem.

Goto Start > Run and type ( or copy and paste the bold text ) REGSVR32 APPWIZ.CPL > hit enter or ok, then try add/remove again?

3. shannytay

shannytay Private E-2

That did not fix it, thank you for trying to help me. I am unsure if IE 7 could have been the cause of this. I did d/l IE7 and it about killed me and my machine. But, it is off of here now, just have this cussing boot problem and add/remove issue. If you can think of anything else please let me know.
    :confused:
    Kindest Regards,

Last edited: Jul 23, 2006
  4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Yes its very possible that uninstalling the IE7 beta has removed some registry entries that are needed, the long fix is listed here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/266668/EN-US/

Also I may have remembered the command I asked you to type slightly wrong, didnt remember that it could have needed to be run from a command prompt, but the correct way is listed in the above KB guide.

I would advise backing up your important data and files before editing and deleting anything in the registry.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds