External HD--click, click, click...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whkento, Jun 14, 2007.

1. whkento

whkento Private E-2

Hi, folks. I'm in trouble. I can't get my external (usb) hard drive to boot. It just clicks and clicks and clicks... like the drive head is stuck or something. Is there anything I can do to get that thing to boot up again? I'm under the impression that opening it up is a bad idea. I feel stoopid 'cause it started acting weird and I was gonna do a full backup when it decided to never start again. :( Lotsa stuff on there I don't want to lose...

After reading similar posts, I'm not feeling very optimistic.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kento

2. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

When a harddisk click like this it mean most of the time it's broken are hold is it, can you return it ?

there are few diagnostic program that can help you check the section drive utilites http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads8.html

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Sometimes they do that if they're not getting enough power too... they try to spin up , then click, then spin, and so on.

4. whkento

whkento Private E-2

Thanks, Mr. Kent. It's about 3 1/2 years old, I'll have to look for the warranty. My biggest concern, of course, is the lost data issue. I'll try some of the diagnostics you suggested.

Also, thanks foogoo for the observation--is there anything you can do in that case? (it's plugged into my surge suppressor via a DC adapter...)

I've seen a couple of data recovery places advertising on the 'net, but they cost a LOT! (like $500 and up!) I'm still hoping I can get it to fire up again...

Kent

5. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Your gonna have to open it. Don't be to scared, they're usually just a regular HDD with an IDE and power connector attached to a pcb. Then jumper it and plug it in your PC and see if it boots. You can download the Ultimate Boot Disk and run diagnostics. If it is failing I believe Spinrite does recovery. Then there is the old plastic bag and freezer recovery method.

6. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

there is the old plastic bag and freezer recovery method.

Yes i have try that once and it work but you have as small windows to do your backup around 30 to 45 minutes after that your harddisk is DONE.....

7. whkento

whkento Private E-2

Uh, forgive me for my ignorance, do you mean install it in my tower case (is that possible)? Also, I'm not real clear on "jumper it"...

Thanks,

Kent

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds