USB will be the death of me!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CrystalMaze, Sep 10, 2005.

1. CrystalMaze

CrystalMaze Private E-2

I am pretty fed up with my computer right now. My USBs have not worked properly for ages. They are recognised but most things (not all) I plug in don't work. My new digital camera for example. Not a blip.

Perhaps a connection is loose. I honestly don't know what the problem is. I've checked USBMAN.COM but nothing on the site can really help. It says I should make sure ACPI is DISABLED. I did this and my comp wouldn''t start so I changed it back. It's really starting to bug me. Do I need to flash my BIOS guys? I'm pretty certain all the drivers are correct... Here's the specs...

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
    DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0)

Motherboard:
    CPU Type Intel Celeron 4, 1700 MHz (17 x 100)
    Motherboard Name Matsonic MS9138E (2 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 CNR, 4 DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)
    Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8751 Apollo P4M266
    System Memory 224 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)
    BIOS Type AMI (09/05/02)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
    Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
    Video Adapter S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR (Microsoft Corporation) (32 MB)
    3D Accelerator S3 SuperSavageDDR
    Monitor NetLup PRT-701702/701709/951709 [17" CRT] (12351)

Multimedia:
    Audio Adapter VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller

Storage:
    IDE Controller VIA Bus Master IDE Controller
    Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
    Disk Drive ST340810A (40 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
    Optical Drive HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4320B (DVD:16x, CD:32x/10x/40x DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
    SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Input:
    Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Peripherals:
    Printer Acrobat PDFWriter
    Printer CAPTURE FAX BVRP
    Printer Lexmark X1100 Series
    USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB Controller
    USB2 Controller VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller

--------------------------------------

Any ideas?

2. Wait i have the same usb card that i think you do. And i had the same problem too. If you are useing the original drivers they are crap i will tell you that. Try upgradeing them and if that does not work put the cd that came with the disc into the computer (dont do the auto crap that windows will come up with when it sees the card) Just put the disc in and i think i installed the nt driver then if that dont work just update the nt driver and it should work. Lemme know if it helps.
    -the new tech guy

3. CrystalMaze

CrystalMaze Private E-2

cd tht came with the disc? sorry im lost. ive updated in device manager twice because both were utterly useless.

4. Yes i mean the driver cd that came with the pci card for your usb. it is a pci card that your usb is on right?
    -the new tech guy

5. CrystalMaze

CrystalMaze Private E-2

well i dont have the cd. Any ideas where I can get an online copy?

6. Is the card a dynex brand?

7. CrystalMaze

CrystalMaze Private E-2

how can i tell?

8. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

9. Thanks for helpin me a bit there rikky. I am pretty sure it is dynex because it comes up on my pc the exact same way his does. I just want to be sure before we go tryin drivers out.
    -the new tech guy

10. CrystalMaze

CrystalMaze Private E-2

Right, I downloaded that driver and attempted to install. It didn't load up. Not at all. I tried it in Safe mode. Nothing... scary stuff....

11. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

My bad tech guy,I simply searched for the drivers for the onboard usb listed at the start of the thread which are obviously already install :eek: ,I'll go and hide under that rock over there

[​IMG]

12. CrystalMaze

CrystalMaze Private E-2

So whats going on? Are my USBs fcuked? Like I said, some things load and some things don't. Could it be a case of XP not recognising USB 2.0 connections and only recognising 1.1? I'm so confuddled...

13. Try reinstalling the card and just let the computer search the internet for one. And let us know if that helps.
    -the new tech guy

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds