Geek...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wayne82, May 7, 2007.

1. Wayne82

Wayne82 Sergeant Major

Just found this picture...

you_are_a_geek.jpg

Thought it was funny, but beg to differ!

Then again, im a sort of born again geek!

Have you guys always been computer geeks? or were you born again into a new life like me! ;)

2. Wicked

Wicked Private E-2

I was and still am an artist... who embraced a new tool.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I'm not a geek, I just mull around with technology somewhat ( plus the odd beta test to keep the mind active ) due to my curious outside the box nature of thinking, kind of why I love my work as it does not have clear answers, just possabilities.

However I was brought up and have worked with computing in some form from teenage playtime gaming and onto design, photographic to medicine for near, 20yrs+ and counting.

4. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Well, I'm a 'Geek' in some ways. From before there was any such term, or any computers for that matter, outside of Govt. Depts. and huge business'.

I didn't get picked on, and no probs with being popular. Guess the concept of someone who's gifted mentally has to be retarded physically and socially is perpetuated by the mentally inept. Kinda like " Ah, she's a blonde and good looking, but she must be stupid." Well maybe, but more likely just propaganda from the wanna-be’s.

Really, I just enjoy learning and exploring in most areas. Not a fantasy world, just understanding reality for the most part. Not that there's anything wrong with escapism, and finding your 'inner-child' for a while. ;)

5. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

I enjoy the geekier side of life...always have...would't call myself as a "geek" pro though.

6. the-reverend

the-reverend Private E-2

Ive always been a scifi geek but i was only born into the world of computer geekdom 2/3 years ago :major

7. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Always a sci fi geek (Spock was hawt ;) )

Now a techno geek who likes to keep up with new technology. I like to play around with my puter, but don't feel confident enough about not making it explode to do too much to it.

If computers were about 15 year younger, I'd probably be a full blown geek.

8. darlene1029

darlene1029 A Grand Lady- R.I.P. 06/06/2012

Wish I were then I would have my computer running faster confused

9. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

In reply to this, as quoted on Wikepedia:
    A geek is an individual who is fascinated by knowledge and imagination, usually electronic or virtual in nature. Geek may not always have the same meaning as the term nerd. The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines the word geek as "1: a carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually includes biting the head off a live chicken or snake 2: a person often of an intellectual bent who is disliked 3: an enthusiast or expert especially in a technological field or activity," though these are only three of many definitions.

I am DEFFO no.1 :D

10. Wayne82

Wayne82 Sergeant Major

:D Well, i hope no-one participates in this stange behavior :D

I also was not bullied or anything as some of you mentioned, In fact I was probably at the other end of the scale. However a lot of the swotty kids at school did get picked on, which is disgusting, but I can understand why people associate the word geek.

I think more of the word geek meaning someone with a keen interest in something. Someone whose hobby is their passion sorta thing. And someone who is level minded and reasonably intelligent. Not Einstein, but focused...

11. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

I thought a geek was someone with a pocket protector in their shirt pocket, probably wears glasses, and is never at a loss mentally, maybe that is a nerd. The Wikipedia definition is probably right on for today, but I do like the Merriam-Webster one better... but that one sounds more like a freak, not a geek.

12. jarcher

jarcher I can't handle a title

well. .I had a pc as a youth
    but the only thing fun then was battlechess in from dos

I didnt do well in school
    I was one of those that got kicked out and went anyway. .
    ya know the type I am sure. .

I grew up
    got a new pc

(oooooo. .windows)

looked at a little too much pron

(ok, I didnt grow up much)

got some virii and such

learned to clean them up and got into some codeing

and its odd. .but I know alot more than anyone I know

and the truth is. .I really know nothing

13. Gensuknives

Gensuknives Grand pooty-meister

I'm just a pseudo-geek, you know ....................... one who is not totally bumfuzzled by turning on a computer. But also not brave or knowledgable enough to build his own. I regularly attend learning sessions here at MG and have YET to come here and not learn something or benefit from coming.

I DID have a TRS-80 in the old days in the 70's -- had to learn BASIC to be able to program and operate it. Never got into graphics though (sure wish I had).

Love gaming.

14. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

I couldn't have summed that up any better Wayne :)
    Sometimes people are kind of jealous that they are not really
    passionate or good at interesting things, so they deflect their
    insecurities onto the 'geeks', just to make themselves feel better!
    ;)

15. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

25 years owning, modifying and cursing at computers.:D
    Still cursing and head-banging.;)

From Tandy TRS-80 Model 1 with cassette storage and Basic, to my 15 month old Toshiba Tecra A7 duo core laptop.

Always learning thanks to the folks here at Major Geeks, and a fortune spent on PC magazines.

Not your typical geek, or nerd, being a senior citizen. :D Bazza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds