Getting back iTunes songs...

Discussion in 'Software' started by opuspenquin, Apr 18, 2008.

1. opuspenquin

opuspenquin Private E-2

Hey Gang,
    I recently got a virus on my computer and had to reformat my hard drive. :(
    I just reinstalled the latest iTunes. I was wondering if anyone knows how to get iTunes to recognize my songs I have on my iPod and transfer them back into my hard drive. Any advice would be great.
    Thanks!

2. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

I don't use iTunes myself, but a friend of mine does, and I remember he was able to get his licenses back from the iTunes customer service. Apparently they keep records of your purchases. :)

Edit:
    If that fails, try this one: Yamipod

It worked great for getting songs off my Shuffle when a similar thing happened to me. :)

3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Since your computer is an authorized computer (i'm assuming), what SHOULD happen when you plug your ipod in, is it should tell you that it notices that you have purchased songs on your ipod that are not on the computer. The only songs it will do that for is songs You purchased through itunes. The rest of your songs will not transfer. Your ipod can be hooked up to any computer and you can load that library onto your ipod. Your ipod can not transfer songs onto a computer though.

Unless things have changed with apple, that is. But as far as I know, they've actually gotten tougher with their lisencing.

Are your other songs in your music documents folder? You should be able to import those into itunes if you have that as your setting.

edited to add: I just noticed Mimsy's suggestion. I'd go with that. It looks like just what you're looking for. :)

4. opuspenquin

opuspenquin Private E-2

Just an update, I downloaded Yamipod and tried it out. It worked like a charm. I had my songs back on my hard drive in no time.

5. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Very welcome. It's Adryn's secret trick for situations like these. I pass it on whenever I can. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds