How do you ready your PC

Discussion in 'Software' started by EXOX3, Aug 8, 2006.

1. EXOX3

EXOX3 Staff Sergeant

Hi Guys,

I don't know where to put this, so I thought it was a general topic so maybe here, if not I fully apoligise.

How would you prepare your new PC? I just got a new PC recently, Acer Aspire SA80 to be precise, except I also upgraded my videocard to a GeForce 6600 GT!

There was no way in hell I was keeping my system as the default custom Acer Windows XP Home installation with all the added Acer and other 3rd party applications installed, so I reformatted it instantly! Then I did the following:

Formatted PC using Windows XP Pro CD, Formatting in NTFS (Full Format), Although I have 160GB Sata hard drive, for some reason when I formatted it would ask me to make a new partition, and basically only grabbed 127GB and left the rest un-partitioned, so I had to fix that after XP was installed using Admin tools.

I then installed Windows XP Pro

As soon as Windows XP Pro was finished completely installing, I then Installed Service Pack 2.

Then I installed the Sis AGP Driver for my motherboard.

After that, I installed Direct X 9c.

Then installed my nVidia drivers, ver 81.95

I then installed all my games and applications.

I haven't been around for a while, but the only diffrence between this PC and the last PC i had was that this one supports Hyper Threading both on CPU and Mainboard, and CE1, EM64T, whatever they both mean, I don't think I have to install any drivers/applications for these... I`ve been out of the PC hardware loop for so long, I really am un-aware of whats what.

Thats about it for me, I would of liked to Format my PC and not have to have partions, well 2 seperate ones, I mean I wanted it to just remain drive C: as it's proper size, but since I do not have a disk drive in my system, I have a memory card reader instead, I am a bit stuffed when it comes to trying to fix this.

Here's my system Specifications:

Intel Pentium 4 3.06Ghz CPU (HTT, CE1 & EM64T)
    512MB Memory
    Mainboard with HTT Support & Realtek AC97 Audio, Onboard Video (SIS Chipset)
    Memory Card reader as FDD Slot
    160GB SATA HDD
    nVidia GeForce 6600GT 128MB AGP8x
    Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem
    DVDRW 16x/16x

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Set my PCs up pretty much as you have done,

Install OS, clean install, NTFS.
    Install SP2 ( but now have slipstreamed backup of XP and SP2.. which saves that part )

Install Motherboard drivers ( Chipset, AGP, IDE, depends on chipset )

Install GFX Card Drivers.

Install Security software.

Connect to net and install any MS updates, then any updates to drivers for hardware and software.

Install Games and Apps.

Run Cleanup tools eg. CCleaner to clear up any left over temp installer files etc and run defrag.

Intels Hyperthreading is explained here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading ( would have linked to Intels speel in this but this reads a bit better for an explaination )

EM64T is Intels 64bit CPU instructions ( meaning you can run a 64bit OS in PX x64 or Vista x64 later when released ) http://www.intel.com/technology/64bitextensions/faq.htm

and because I know your going to ask about Slipstreaming XP and SP2 here is how I do it,

Download the full SP2 Network install from MS ( unless you have the SP2 update CD ) http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...BE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

Download this neat small app Autostreamer Pretty straight forward to use.... also allows you to customise your installer CD, saves having to Install XP then SP2 :)

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds