Question about malware prevention

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Nov 10, 2008.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

As most of us know, the scourge of XP Antivirus 2009 (and it's many mutated varients) has infected much of the PC world. I work on lots of PCs that have this infection and I have become fairly adept at removing it. However, since some people just don't seem to learn from their mistakes, I see many people getting re-infected within days of having their PCs cleaned, in some cases the PC was formatted and they still get re-infected. It seems as if the apps I recommend are not stopping it; AVG/Avast/AntiVir don't catch it, and I don't really remember, but I don't think that AVG detects it upon scanning either but I could be wrong about that. So these folks get a bit chapped at me and say "you installed an antivirus, how did I get the virus again?" and they get all mad and act like it's my fault and then I show them a detailed history of their web activities and show them the exact date and time of re-infection, but they still say "but you installed the antivirus" and they think there's some type of warranty or guarantee against infection. As we all know, gaurantee-ing against virus infection is ridiculous and impossible. So my question is this: what software (freeware) actually stops this plague? I deal with many noobs and 9 times out of 10 when they install a firewall, they turn it off because "all of the pop ups are messing up my internet" and no matter what I tell them, they almost always disable their firewalls. So.... any thoughts, suggestions, comments.... whatever.....

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  2. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Best protection you can offer them is education around safe-surfing practises. And if they get infected, tell them about MajorGeeks.com awesome Authorized Malware Fighters and the Read & Run Me First link.

I would think out of respect for the customers you highly value the very least you can do is point them to the awesome place you get fantastic assistance and information from ;)

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

;) You betcha! I have given out the MG web site to dozens of people over the past few years, possibly hundreds of people. And believe me, I do tell people about safe surfing and using some common sense when surfing, I even tell people to call me if something puzzeling or confusing happens whilst surfing. But some people just don't get it... I've even had people get mad at me after they have given the credit card info to the AV2009 people!! They say that they had to pay for something I was paid to do, and when I tell 'em that the people they paid are the virus writers and the scammers, they refuse to believe me until they've made 3 or 4 more payments and finally realize they're being scammed. So I'd like to find an app that stops AV2009 (or at least pops up a warning) even if someone tries to install it...

4. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds