HP Pavilion DV4

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hornnumb2, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Hornnumb2

Hornnumb2 Private E-2

Laptop won't boot says No Bootable Media Detected. I hooked it up by usb and come up with 4 partitions, It does fail hard disk test and I tried to clone it but it list partition I has errors and won't clone. I also shows to be a raw partition. Where do I go from here? Any way to make some recovery disk hooked up by USB? It is running windows 7 home 64bit. Thanks Michael

Attached Files:

• hp.jpg
      hp.jpg
      File size:
      54.4 KB
      Views:
  2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

How did you test the HD? Which brand HD is it?

3. Hornnumb2

Hornnumb2 Private E-2

It a toshiba, I used the built in hp software. I ran check disk and it fix some errors on I. but it still won't boot and tried to copy with acronis but it fails also. Thanks

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

298 matches for Pavilion DV4!!!
    I was going to see if you can buy the restore DVD from HP but I won't begin to guess exactly what laptop you have.
    Start here http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-drivers.html
    pick your unit and then select restore.

5. Hornnumb2

Hornnumb2 Private E-2

I went ahead and ordered the recovery disk but I was trying to get it going before they came.

6. sach2

7. Hornnumb2

Hornnumb2 Private E-2

I do have a 7 disk and have tried startup repair but it says it found the startup problem but then it can't load the file. I did use seatools and ran the short test, it passed. I will hook it back up and try the long test. Toshiba is the only name I see on the drive. Thanks

8. sach2

What I was thinking was if it is just the partition 1, which should be the boot files, that is corrupted then you could try to copy the boot files onto partition 2 which would be the OS partition and try to boot from there.

I'm not certain that the "no boot media" doesn't indicate a problem with the HD being recognized at all as opposed to just a software problem.
    I'm also not sure that partition 1 is the system reserved partition but I think it is since I don't think partition numbers start with 0.

You could in disk management mark the 219gb partition active. Then put the HD back in the laptop. Then boot from CD it may or may not find the Vista partition and offer to fix errors. If it does then let it. It will reboot. Then it will search for Vista again but probably say there are no errors. Click Next to go to the Advanced options. Then click Startup Repair at the top of the list. Let that run and then try to boot without the CD.

If it doesn't go like above let me know. I have found that running both the automatic startup repair once and also manually choosing startup repair from the list of 5 options copies all needed files to the OS partition.

(If it doesn't work you can just set the System/Partition 1 back to Active in disk management and be back where you are. The extra set of boot files will cause no harm.)

Edit: "but it says it found the startup problem but then it can't load the file. " Does it tell you which file it can't load or is causing the problem?

9. Hornnumb2

Hornnumb2 Private E-2

Ok I will try that, since I ran chkdsk on it it now shoes the recovery partition but still no go.

Attached Files:

• HP1.jpg
      HP1.jpg
      File size:
      48.2 KB
      Views:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds