Accidently Deleted upperfilters Now No Keyboard Or Mouse (Dell D600)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Frontline RACING, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Frontline RACING

Frontline RACING Private E-2

Ryt then i have a dell d600 and my cdrw wasnt working thats a different matter which isnt really important now so i accidently deleted some upperfilters as i thought it would fix my cd drive but turned out to ruin my mouse and keyboard, now they are not functional wen in windows.

Is this possible to fix, if so all suggestions welcome

Please help as i need my laptop and files on it

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:wave Welcome to Major Geeks! :major

Without using a mouse or keyboard, I don't see how this will be possible, but I would try a system restore to a date before the problem started. You didn't mention if you have Windows XP or Vista or 2000, so I'm assuming it's XP. You can also perform a repair install of Windows; boot to your XP install disc, and follow the steps in this guide to safely reload Windows without any data loss. On very rare occasions (usually due to user profile corruption) after a repair install has finished, all your desktop shortcuts will be gone, and the "My Documents" folder will appear to be empty. None of the programs are actually gone, and none of your previous documents are actually gone. You'd have to explore drive C: and you'd see that there is a folder that does indeed contain all your previous documents, and you'll see all your programs are still in the Program Files folder, but none (or very few) will actually run. But all of this is very rare. I have personally performed over 200 repair installs of Windows XP, and this has happened to me maybe 5 or 6 times. In the meantime, I'll do some research in to your problem and if I find something useful, I'll be sure to post.
    Good luck!

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I went looking around my PC for keyboard and mouse drivers, registry entries, etc. The screen shots below should provide you with all the info needed. If you can access your registry by using a boot CD like the UBCD4Win (Ultimate Boot CD for Windows), you can then add the needed info by using the screen shots below as a guide. You can also use the same method to check and replace (if needed) the system driver files for the keyboard and mouse. Good luck! I hope this helps!
    :-D

(here's a link to the "how-to-build" guide for the UBCD4Win: http://www.ubcd4win.com/howto.htm; tons more info about it is available at that site)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  4. Frontline RACING

Thanks for the info DLB, i have a windows xp pro sp3, and of course wont be able to use system restore as i have no keyboard or mouse.

And the bootcd will i need a mouse or keyboard for that or will i need to use windows or what (dont really know much about computers), if you could do me a step-by-step i would really appreciate it

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Since you apparently have access to a fully functional PC, you can use the steps outlined at the link I provided above to build the UBCD4win. The boot CD should have its own keyboard/mouse drivers built in, so there should not be a problem. When the UBCD4Win has loaded up, it will look and function just like Windows, and will be very easy and familiar, but it has it's own set of programs built-in, all of which are aimed at troubleshooting and PC repair and rescue. As I stated above, a repair install of Windows would be the ideal course of action, and by far the easiest. I already posted a link above with a detailed step-by-step (including screen shots) for reinstalling Windows without data loss.

6. Frontline RACING

So shall i use the UBCD4Win and on the start screen press f12 to boot cd like if i had a windows cd and booting the laptop or shall i just use a xp cd and boot the laptop

7. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

The choice is yours. I'd recommend that you try the Windows safe reinstall first. The worst case scenario is that none of your shortcuts and programs will work, but all of your documents, music, pictures, etc, will still be there, and will be accessible so you can back them up to CD/DVD/external or flash drive, then you'd perform a full clean install of Windows to get things 100%. Best case scenario (and the most likely) is that your old desktop and shortcuts and data (and keyboard and mouse) will return just as it was. In the case of some type of catastrophic problem, you can still use the UBCD4Win to rescue your data if needed. As long as you do NOT format the drive, all your data should remain intact.

Be sure to read all the way through the steps I linked to for the Windows repair install. Probably read all the way through twice (or more) or even print it out so that you're prepared and familiar with the process.

8. richelectron

richelectron Private E-2

Hi, I also just made the same mistake of deleting the UpperFilter setting for my keyboard instead of my DVD drive. Woops! A good reminder to exercise caution when editing the registry. Anyway, thanks for the screenshots dlb, I was able to login to my PC using the keyboard on another computer through VNC and restore the registry entry. Phew!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds