IGD Gateway

Discussion in 'Software' started by bido, Dec 16, 2005.

1. bido

bido Private E-2

Whenever my internet starts to play up i notice that an internet gateway apperas in my network connections window. Any attempt to disable it is fruitless as it says the connection is in the middle of a connect/diconnect operation. Trying to view the settings for this connection is blocked saying i dont have permission to adjust the settings for the connection although i am the administrator, please help. The gateway sends packets at a great rate even when my connection has stopped me downloading and browsing. Then it dissapears to return at any time to do whatever it does!!

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Its nothing to be concerned about, its your router. The Universal Plug and Play portion of the router software is what causes the IGD gateway to be displayed.

Nothing to worry about, but if it bugs you, you can disable Univeral Plug and Play in your router settings.

3. bido

bido Private E-2

thanks adrenaline thats cool. Just got a new asdl2 router and did invoke PnP now that i know what it is i can relax:) so i guess that the reason it comes and goes is b/c it is being used by programs intermitantly? i have been able to get in to the settings a couple of times and seen bitlord using it, but on most occasions i can't access the settings page, is their any way to see what is using the gateway other than through the gateways setting page?

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Well, the reason it comes and goes is that some manufacturers implement it poorly, and it seems to 'crash'. As well, MS didn't do a great job implementing it into the OS either.

But it just seems to be the icon for it, because universal plug and play still works.

The gateway is kind of neat in that it allows you to play around with port settings without actually changing the router configuration. Unfortunately, as mentioned before, its a buggy implementation, on Microsoft's end as well.

Sometimes you get lucky. My dlink's gateway always stays there. However, my old Linksys would sporadically appear and disappear.

Moving this to software.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds