disk cleanup

Discussion in 'Software' started by may2014, Jul 30, 2014.

1. may2014

may2014 Private E-2

Is it ok to delete oldchkdisk files in disk cleanup? And what about compress files, I read that you don't have to delete compress files.

2. rustysavage

rustysavage Sergeant Major

If you're talking about the *.chk files that are created by Window's chkdsk program, then you can safely delete them. They consist of file fragments that chkdsk recovered from fixing disk errors and unless you're some sort of forensic computer expert I don't think you'll have any use for them. Salvaging useable files from these fragments is nearly impossible.

As for the "compress" files that you mention, I don't know what you're referring to. Please elaborate. Where do you find these files and what 3-character extension do they have (if any).

3. may2014

may2014 Private E-2

When you go to disk cleanup tool to free up disk space and you have options that you can check to delete like temp. internet files, recycle bin , compress old files, etc. and on mine old chkdsk files 7,220 kb . that I can delete

4. rustysavage

rustysavage Sergeant Major

Which cleanup tool are you using?

5. may2014

may2014 Private E-2

disk clean up in windows xp. I looked up compress old files and it says this option compresses all old dll and sys files in the Windows folder that hasn't been accessed recently or ever. , and that it does not delete the files So I guess you just save space, but access to the files would be slow

I not going to delete them yet (compress old files) but I would have 4,090,516 of free space if i did.

6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I guess this is XP we're talking about? If so Disk Cleanup doesn't actually give you the option to delete Compress Files, just to compress them to release some disk space. If you click that option it explains that and and if you are short of disk space you may as well go ahead and tick it.

7. may2014

may2014 Private E-2

right, but it might take a long time? (compress old files) oldchkdisk files I can delete too?

8. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I've no idea how long it may take as I've never used it, but you could leave the machine on overnight just in case. Rusty has answered your question about old chkdsk files.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds