WAN Redundancy, is it possible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hankyknot, May 28, 2009.

1. hankyknot

hankyknot Corporal

I have a client with two sites in two separate towns.

They have a server at location 1 (TS1) running terminal services and their users run applications locally on their PC's.

At location 2 the users connect to terminal services on TS1 and run a handful of small applications locally. Both sites have a high speed connection to the web via satellite internet, but its not as reliable as we would like.

Is there a way to have a second terminal server at location 2 (TS2) to act as a backup in case the WAN connection fails? Also could TS2 be used as a primary terminal server in the event that TS1 fails with users at location 1 connecting to TS2 instead of the other way round?

2. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Sure, but I would assume that the reason that you have 1 terminal server is because all of the data is on that one machine. If you had another machine and folks would use it when the link was down, then how would the data be brought in sync with the original system. Not that it can't be done but a little more involved.

3. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

Are you talking about just having a backup TS in case your main TS fails? Or actual WAN redundancy with backup p2p links between sites?

4. hankyknot

hankyknot Corporal

Ideally I would like both sites to be able to continue working, albeit not necessary automatically, in the event of a connection OR server failure. Even if the Terminal Servers were synched overnight that would be better than what is in place at the moment

5. hankyknot

hankyknot Corporal

Just had an idea, I have another client who is running two terminal servers at the same site. No matter which server the users log into they see the same profile.

Imagine these servers were on different sites, to change which server you logged into would become a matter of changing a dyndns address rather than an IP address or server name.

Now all that would remain would be to have the contents of the profile folders synchronised overnight, right?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds